Spacenavigator moves object on its own

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Amazon62

Spacenavigator moves object on its own

Post by Amazon62 »

Hi,

Since a while my spacenavigator is moving objects (or whatever else) on its own.
It used to stop this when I turned off the LEDs, but with the new driver it is not
possible to turn of the LEDs anymore.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit

Thanks!

Maarten
Fred

Re: Spacenavigator moves object on its own

Post by Fred »

You can correct drifting with the calibrate function.

Open the 3Dconnexion ControlPanel and press the Calibrate button. Calibration does not provide a visible signal. When you press Calibrate , make sure your 3Dconnexion device is on a flat surface and nothing is touching the cap. You will not see an on-screen confirmation that the process has taken place, but it does re-zero the sensors.

Calibration is used primarily to correct erroneous movement- i.e . the model moves without touching the device cap. This can occur if the relaxed position of the cap is slightly changed, then as the cap moves back to the original relaxed position the sensor detects this movement and sends the data to the application causing the unwanted movement.

Due to the sensitive nature of the optical sensors, a slight compression of the cap can cause miss-calibration. While it is normal to rest your hand on the cap when you are not actively moving the model , it is sometimes possible for hand pressure to cause the device to keep trying to re-center once the cap is released. The small stream of data sent to the application as the cap tries to return to center can cause unwanted movement onscreen that the calibrate function can correct. By re-zeroing , calibrate stops the data being sent to the application.
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can't find the calibration option in the settings or '3D mouse Home'.
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

This is all I have....
Fred

Post by Fred »

You installed the Wireless driver.
Right click on the 3Dicon in the system tray and choose calibrate.
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Hi,

Thank you! Although it didnt solve the problem.. I'm sure I downloaded the normal version.
Fred

Post by Fred »

If the calibrate function is either not correcting a problem with drifting or is correcting it only briefly, there is another step you can try. As a slight variation on the calibration process, you can intentionally miss-calibrate by holding the device cap away from center for several seconds and pressing the Calibrate button while the cap is off-center. Then, let the cap return to its center position and press Calibrate again. By causing the distance away from center to become larger before re-zeroing it can sometimes be more easily corrected.

Also make sure your device is plugged directly into a usb port on the pc not through a hub or extension .
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Okay, I'll try that....

Weird thing is that it worked properly with Windows 7, 64bit with the LED's off (with LED on, it also drifted). Now I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it's giving this problem
again.. With or without LED's on...
jwick

Post by jwick »

You may have a low power issue. LEDs use lots of power.
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Hi,

Too bad nothing worked.... Maybe I should install an older driver. The power issue would be not likely be the problem as I use a new laptop and had the same with the other laptop.
DIGWEED112

Post by DIGWEED112 »

Hi,

I recently purchased a spacenavigator (last week). Connected it up, and started to install the software on the disc provided. I was prompted with a message to tick the box to see if there was more uptodate drivers available on the 3Dconnexion site. There was, and it was these new drivers that was downloaded and installed. On booting up my Cad software, Catia V5 R19, my model drifted and never stopped moving on its own. I tried the Configure button to no avail and even searched the setup within Catia to find a solution. None found. After much thought; I booted up my other Cad software - Solid Edge ST5 and loaded a model. low and behold, this model drifted and after much fiddling with setups and config, the drifting continued and never stopped. I also noticed the Viewer, the Collage and the Puzzle within the navigator pane also drifted..... MMMmm i thought. I then unloaded the drivers and removed the software from my computer and inserted the disc and started a reload - but this time I "unticked" the box requesting it to look for new drivers. the drivers from the disc loaded and on booting up my Catia V5 NO drifting occured... I then booted up my Solid Edge ST5 and experienced No drifting either.

For me; the new drivers must have been at fault and caused the drifting.
I run Windows 7, 64bit with plenty of Ram.

The other think i noticed was the blue light on the ball came on with the new software - but is absent with the old software. It doesn't affect the function of the spacenavigator but it looks nice when on.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello digweed112 -

In the 3DxSoftware driver [the driver from the CD] there is an option for the LEDs in 3Dconnexion Properties. [Tools, Enable LEDs]

The default setting is for the LEDs to be on , so you should find the Enable LEDs option checked. To turn on the LEDs ,first remove the check mark then click on Enable LEDs again to re-check it.

The Calibrate function re-centers the Space Navigator to stop drifting. Calibration can be done with either driver. The device can be off-center during the shipping process and apparently the initial calibration when the 3DxWare driver started did not correct it. In this case it was corrected during the un-install|re-install process.

In the 3DxSoftware driver [purple and white icon] Calibrate is on the Device Configuration tab in 3Dconnexion Properties. In the 3DxWare driver [black and white icon] Calibrate is in the right-click menu of the System Tray icon. The 3DxWare driver also auto-calibrates when the driver starts.

--------------
Barbara
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

DIGWEED112 wrote:Hi,

I recently purchased a spacenavigator (last week). Connected it up, and started to install the software on the disc provided. I was prompted with a message to tick the box to see if there was more uptodate drivers available on the 3Dconnexion site. There was, and it was these new drivers that was downloaded and installed. On booting up my Cad software, Catia V5 R19, my model drifted and never stopped moving on its own. I tried the Configure button to no avail and even searched the setup within Catia to find a solution. None found. After much thought; I booted up my other Cad software - Solid Edge ST5 and loaded a model. low and behold, this model drifted and after much fiddling with setups and config, the drifting continued and never stopped. I also noticed the Viewer, the Collage and the Puzzle within the navigator pane also drifted..... MMMmm i thought. I then unloaded the drivers and removed the software from my computer and inserted the disc and started a reload - but this time I "unticked" the box requesting it to look for new drivers. the drivers from the disc loaded and on booting up my Catia V5 NO drifting occured... I then booted up my Solid Edge ST5 and experienced No drifting either.

For me; the new drivers must have been at fault and caused the drifting.
I run Windows 7, 64bit with plenty of Ram.

The other think i noticed was the blue light on the ball came on with the new software - but is absent with the old software. It doesn't affect the function of the spacenavigator but it looks nice when on.
Hi,

That sounds like the same problem.... I still have to try to use the old driver. But it seems to work with your device. If you turn on the LED, does it drift again?
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Hi,

Update: I installed a previous driver (3.17.8) and it works fine now. But it still has the problem with the LED. When the LEDs are on, it starts drifting again.
Amazon62

Post by Amazon62 »

Amazon62 wrote:Hi,

Update: I installed a previous driver (3.17.8) and it works fine now. But it still has the problem with the LED. When the LEDs are on, it starts drifting again.
I meant to say driver 3.17.8, but it made a smiley out of it...