movement speed slows down when approaching axes in 3dsMax 8

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Elwood

movement speed slows down when approaching axes in 3dsMax 8

Post by Elwood »

Hello! I'm using a Spacemouse (serial) in win xp x64 and Max 8.0.

I'm using the device mostly for camera animation, with Movement setting set to: "Move Camera" & "Camera/View" for Center of Rotation.

What I find annoying is that the camera speed is not constant, but seems to depend on distance from the world center. When I cross any of the axes it almost comes to a stop... and then speeds up again when I get past this "critical" point. I does not happen when moving sideways (strafing), but that's not the solution I'm looking for, since I'm animating cameras for architectural visualisations. I need constant speed when walking forward.

Is there a way to turn off this behavior?
(Other than moving the model away from 0,0,0 - I need to keep position in case the CAD model gets updated and I must import new parts).

Regards,
Elwood
Peter

Space Mouse (serial)

Post by Peter »

Dear Elwood,
Serial devices (from 3D Connexion) were not engineered to function with the Windows 64bit operating system. Only USB devices are fully 64bit compatible.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Hmmm... too bad that is functioning very well, apart from the mentioned issue. So I believe that it's a matter of driver settings, not the OS. Or am I mistaken? I'm using 3dxWare 5.7.2.

I'll try to recreate the problem on a regular XP machine and tell you the results.