Maya 2014 rotation issue when no object selected

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

romorrow

Maya 2014 rotation issue when no object selected

Post by romorrow »

Hey there, am using a Space Navigator in Maya 2014 and have an issue with the spin (tumble) navigation in the viewport within large scenes. All the functions act as they should when an object is selected, I can zoom/pan/rotate around an object in component or non component mode....but if you have no object selected it seems to pick a fairly arbitrary point in space within the scene to rotate around so can result in the camera going all over the place. It seems to happen when there is a scene full of very large geometry...if you create a massive sphere (1km radius for example), move it away from the center of the scene, reset the camera to the origin, deselect everything then try to spin the camera and it seems to take the center of the sphere as a default pivot even when not selected. This is quite annoying when working in large environments as you don't really know where its rotating around.

For me this happens in camera or target camera and all the different rotation center settings

I used 3DS Max and when nothing was selected it would default to using the scene origin as its pivot point...is there a way of setting this in Maya or is this a bug with the 3Dconnexion drivers/tools

Cheers