Space Pilot Pro + 3d Studio Max = .. lots of broken features

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

malinin

Space Pilot Pro + 3d Studio Max = .. lots of broken features

Post by malinin »

Ok so i have recently purchased a space Pilot pro to use within 3D Studio Max..

In general it is good.. i have used one (space traveller / old space pilot) for over 6 years on older versions of max and it worked fine.. was kind of wonky but worked..

since getting the new space Pilot pro and moving onto Max 2013 im seeing many issues.:

- Undos! - they rarely work.. will work for a few operations then the option greys out and you loose the complete undo history.. undoing also undos multiple operations in one go.. which is terrible. doing a "Make Planar" operation looses undos ( this doesnt happen when the device is unplugged and driver turned off.)

-UV Mapping - After a short amount of time the UV's play up.. fly accross the screen when trying to handle them.. when rotating the UV's will spin incontrolably.. you must restart.. work 4-5 mins then it starts again. UV editing is strickly impossible with the controller. i must everytime unplug the device to work.

- Ctrl, atl, shift buttons sometimes just dont work.. ill try and shift - drag to duplicate.. most times it doesnt work.. deforming my mesh and because the undos are lost my mesh is fucked.. i must save every 2 mins.

Please address these issues.. i would like to continue to recommend your products to coworkers, i have been a great supporter of 3D connexion in the past, but i wont in the future as they now slow down workflow and do not help at all with our productivity.

all of the above problems disappear when the 3D controller is unplugged.
UtaSH

Re: Space Pilot Pro + 3d Studio Max = .. lots of broken feat

Post by UtaSH »

Hi malinin,

thanks for reporting the issues.

What driver version do you have installed?
Do you have more than one 3dsmax version installed on your machine?
Do you have other software for 3dsmax installed? Any additional plugins?
Is 3dsmax the only application that you are using with your 3D mouse?

:oops: And what is UV Mapping?

Thanks,
pixelatedme

Post by pixelatedme »

HI
I am having the same problems with the Space Mouse and 3d studio Max 2014.
Undo rarely works and it is a big problem!!!

I have only one version of 3d studio max 2014 and I have updated to the latest drivers and still having the same problems
is there a solution?
Thanks
Luis
pixelatedme

Post by pixelatedme »

HI Utash
Do you ever check this forum and bother to respond to the questions posted?
Is 3D connexion just ignoring the problems with 3d Studio max?
GunGriffin

Post by GunGriffin »

That about sums it up actually,

They are pretty much ignoring 3Ds Max's problems. I've posted in two different topics about my issues with their products and 3Ds Max. Even tried to contact their own customer service and no viable response.

You're better off trying your luck elsewhere if you're a 3Ds Max user. It's clear 3D Connexion has no intent or drive to fix anything related to the program.

Very sad to see things go this way. I really liked 3D Connexion's products.
cribbss

Post by cribbss »

I also recently purchased a Space Pilot Pro. Undo stops working after just a few minutes of use. Geometry cannot be moved around without it violently leaving the viewing area, and this is while using the mouse. Havent tested the edit UV problem but what is the point with all the other issues. Unplug the Pilot and restate Max, all is well. Wonderful device but completely and utterly useless because of this problem. I will return it as I cannot find a fix.

Here is my configuration if by chance a 3Dconnexion person reads this (not that it matters, I'm packing the device up to return):

3ds Max 2014
SpacePilot Pro Firmware v. 4.11
3DxWare version 10.1.0
3DxWinCore 17.1.0.10275

-Disappointed
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you Mr Cribbs for answering Uta's questions.

Undos' rarely work
UNDO (Ctrl+Z) is the Autocad command. It is also a is a windows command. Check your Options dialog, 'User Preferences' tab under the "Windows Standard Behavior" section, make sure that "Windows Standard Accelerator Keys" is checked.
Also, If the ram usage gets really high. 3DsMax will shut off the undo command to try and free up ram. .

Ctrl, atl, shift buttons sometimes just dont work..
This too may be an issue with the "Windows Standard Accelerator Keys"

UVMapping
Uta, here is a tutorial you can click here.

Any issue that has been reported about this has been escalated to the programmers to try to reproduce the same issue and address them.
Lovebot3000

Post by Lovebot3000 »

I've noticed the uv and objects shooting around in max 2011 sp2 as well, but it happened before I got a 3d mouse. Like a few months prior. It might be a max thing.