Gaming with SpaceNavigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

cactusfire

Gaming with SpaceNavigator

Post by cactusfire »

How can I use my new SpaceNavigator PE as a joystick? I want to use it with Microsoft Flight Simulator. Please.

Thanks
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi cactusfire:

Right now, we do not provide that capability. It's a nice idea -- I don't think that Flight Simulator is 6DOF USB enabled within the application, so it's something that has to be developed.

Please know that these requests are taken very seriously. We want you to get the full use of your device, and if we can accommodate, especially when we see the potential, we always consider.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
cactusfire

Post by cactusfire »

Thanks Ziva. Does it matter whether flight sim is 6DOF USB enabled? It seems like if it would just register as a gaming device all would be well...
znissan wrote:Hi cactusfire:

Right now, we do not provide that capability. It's a nice idea -- I don't think that Flight Simulator is 6DOF USB enabled within the application, so it's something that has to be developed.

Please know that these requests are taken very seriously. We want you to get the full use of your device, and if we can accommodate, especially when we see the potential, we always consider.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
Layer01

Post by Layer01 »

cactusfire wrote:Thanks Ziva. Does it matter whether flight sim is 6DOF USB enabled? It seems like if it would just register as a gaming device all would be well...
ah yes but it wouldn't be part of their plan for a "rich experience"
heaven forbid if we could actually use the product.
That would get them more customers, and that doesn't seem to be their goal.
Joost

Post by Joost »

I know for sure that support in games would make a huge sales boost.
The spaceball is ideall for controlling helicopters in games, in Flight Simulator and games like Battlefield.
Also in games like age of empires, it would be great to navigate the world like in google earth, but that would depend on game support.
I think lots of gamers will be willing to spend $50 for this.

For games support, I think the only thing needed is a driver which recignises the spaceball as a 6-axes joystick. Doesn't sound that difficult to me.

I hope I've been able to wake up the spaceball driver team too write a joystick driver (or ask some help from your colleages at the Logitech gaming department).

Edit:
When reading futher in this forum I saw that a user RCB9 has been able to modify the spacenavigator driver to a joystick driver. It's a shame that the 3dConnexion keeps this functionality hidden from the people owning a spaceball ore spacenavigator.
dkosburn

Post by dkosburn »

cactus

Take a look at this thread for a user created driver that will let you use a Space Navigator as a Joystick / Mouse. I've installed it myself using the creator's documentation and it seems to work just fine, although it does take some configuration and tweaking.

viewtopic.php?t=336