Numpad stopped working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

BarryZA

Numpad stopped working

Post by BarryZA »

error.jpg
error.jpg (238.94 KiB) Viewed 14681 times
Greetings, I have (hopefully) attached a screenshot of the error message I get when I boot up.

I did 2 things immediately prior to this:
Installed a Nvidia Geforce 520 graphics card.
plugged in a Wacom pad.

I have a Space Navigator that I use mostly with Autodesk Inventor 2013. Also Showcase and Draftsight. System restores and re-installing the latest driver have made no difference and are the extent of my limited expertise in this area.

Running Win7 64 bit with 6 gigs of ram.

I really miss my shortcut buttons, please help!
Fred

Re: Numpad stopped working

Post by Fred »

The 3DxNumPad Unhandled Exception error occurs when there is data corruption in the "user.config" file of 3DxNumPad.exe.

To correct the problem, stop the driver then delete the folder [ or folders] in the 3DxNumPad folder that has the "user.config" files. [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver - Stop Driver]

The folder is located at: "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion\3DxNumPad_..."

Restart the driver. A new "user.config" file will be created and the driver is able to run without the 3DxNumPad Unhandled Exception error
BarryZA

Post by BarryZA »

Thank-you Fred

A beautiful easy to follow explanation without the need for excessive Googling like I usually have to.

And it worked, however when I am in Inventor and I go to the add ins and click on "Customise buttons" like I used to, nothing happens. But I suppose you wouldn't know anything about that :D

I'll play around. Thanks again
Fred

Post by Fred »

The 'Customize buttons' command in the pop-up menu opens the 3DxInventor button editor. The "Menu" button on the SpacePilot PRO and Space Mouse Pro, the "Panel" button on the Space Pilot and Space Explorer and the left Space Navigator button opens the pop-up menu.

Are you running Inventor as admin? If so i have seen where this may stop the button commands from working.
Usually if you run an app as admin any addin needs the same permision.
Try the fllowing.
1.Stop the driver then browse to Navigate to C:-->Program Files-->3Dconnexion-->3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware-->3DxWare-->3dxsrv.exe

2. Right-click 3dxsrv.exe - Select
compatibility and
check 'Run as administrator'
Or if you dont have to run Inventor as admin you can locate the execuatable for inventor and turn off the run as admin.
ClicK

Post by ClicK »

Thanks.
hmn3d

Post by hmn3d »

My Numpad stoped working also, but I have another error, the source is PresentationCore. Every time I start Windows I receive that message, and every time I try to use Numpad too. Any idea. I use Windows 8.1 64bits and driver version 3.17.7.

Using the old version of driver I have no errors.

I´m from Brazil. Sorry for my english. Thanks.

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi hmn3d,

have you tried what Fred advised?
Fred wrote:The 3DxNumPad Unhandled Exception error occurs when there is data corruption in the "user.config" file of 3DxNumPad.exe.

To correct the problem, stop the driver then delete the folder [ or folders] in the 3DxNumPad folder that has the "user.config" files. [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver - Stop Driver]

The folder is located at: "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion\3DxNumPad_..."

Restart the driver. A new "user.config" file will be created and the driver is able to run without the 3DxNumPad Unhandled Exception error
BarryZA

Post by BarryZA »

Thank's Fred, I tried that but no dice.

Although Inventors customize buttons menu is different to the 3d buttons menu. It gives you immediate access to all of the Inventor commands.

I should update to 2014 soon, so maybe that will sort it out. Funny that this only happened after a year when I plugged in a Wacom pad though.
hmn3d

Post by hmn3d »

Hi UtaSH.

Yes, I´ve tried but not work for me.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi hmn3d,

you mentioned "the source is PresentationCore". What does that mean? Do you get more than one error? Can you post other errors you get?

Thanks,
hmn3d

Post by hmn3d »

No, I´ve got just one error. Look at my screenshot above. The first 3 lines describe the error as System.Windows.Media.FontFamily and the Source is PresentationCore.

I´ve tried the method used by BarryZA but after that I noticed that the errors were different.

To eliminate the errror temporarily I replaced the file 3dxnumpad.exe for the file calc.exe from Windows and rename it. Now I don´t have the virtual numpad, neither the error.
CNCVelMart

Post by CNCVelMart »

hmn3d wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 am No, I´ve got just one error. Look at my screenshot above. The first 3 lines describe the error as System.Windows.Media.FontFamily and the Source is PresentationCore.

I´ve tried the method used by BarryZA but after that I noticed that the errors were different.

To eliminate the errror temporarily I replaced the file 3dxnumpad.exe for the file calc.exe from Windows and rename it. Now I don´t have the virtual numpad, neither the error.
Thanks for the file swapping renaming idea. I don't have an error message, rather the calculator is missing, which won't let me add it in any way. It would have been nice if there was an option for the 4 or 8 units, where starting any programs is allowed. I don't have a calc.exe menu that can be added to CADMouse Pro Wireless in the settings, and you can't associate a calculator with the Macro, and I don't see any point in using the Virtual NumPad. need the keyboard. Instead of Virtual NumPad, it is essential to access calc, even though there is a key on the keyboard, it is faster to start it with the mouse anywhere on the screen using the Radial Menu button.