Custom Functions (again)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Spackle42

Custom Functions (again)

Post by Spackle42 »

Hopefully my posts should become less frequent as I get my configuration sorted :)

Currently under 'Any application' on my Spacepilot Pro there is a function button for Skype. Since I don't have this installed, I would like to set this button to open Autodesk Inventor instead. Is there a simple way to do this?
UtaSH

Re: Custom Functions (again)

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Spackle42,

you can assign "Launch App1" (or "Launch App2") to the button. Then make sure this function launches you preferred application (Inventor).

Commands "Launch App1" and "Launch App2":
They launch whatever is in HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/AppKey/{17,18}/ShellExecute (app1, app2 respectively).
By default these are the file manager (app1) and calc.exe (app2).
Spackle42

Post by Spackle42 »

Thanks UtaSH, that did the trick. Bit concerned that I had to dig into the registry to change this though. I'm fairly tech savvy but this could be a bit dangerous for someone that's not very tech literate.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Spackle42,
Bit concerned that I had to dig into the registry to change this though. I'm fairly tech savvy but this could be a bit dangerous for someone that's not very tech literate.
You are correct. Editing the Registry is only recommended for experienced users as a deleting the wrong data can cause the system to fail to reboot or to otherwise work properly.

3DxWare 10 for Windows (currently in beta) allows to assign "actions" by editing XML files (feature not yet on the user interface). Perhaps this is something you may want to look at. If so, please check the topics in the relevant Forum section.