spacepilot in motionbuilder 7.0f

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mdwyanim

spacepilot in motionbuilder 7.0f

Post by mdwyanim »

does the spacepilot work for motionbuilder? On the website it says that motionbuilder is supported (albeit autodesks version), and was wondering if it was working for anyone in the 7 version. Currently it is not working for me.

Thanks,

DAN.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello:

There was support within MotionBuilder at one time, as implemented by the software vendor, but after the various acquisitions, we have found out that this support has been removed.

We apologize that this application has continued to be listed on the application page, and it will be removed.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
yag

For Motionbuilder

Post by yag »

Which Motionbulier version can we use?

Will you support motionbuilder in the future?
ngomes

Re: For Motionbuilder

Post by ngomes »

Hi yag, [quote=]Will you support motionbuilder in the future?[/quote]
The support for 3Dconnexion devices was part of the application, in other words, the implementation was native. 3Dconnexion did not directly (through an add-in, for example) supported motionbuilder.

In these cases, we advise out customers to send the request directly to the customer service of the application editor. We very much appreciate if you could post any information you may get from them in this Forum.
Nuno Gomes
GTWillemsen

3Dconnexion motion controller - SpacePilot and MotionBuilder

Post by GTWillemsen »

I contacted Autodesk about this;

The reaction was the following:
The professional version of MotionBuilder has the device drivers for the SpaceBall device by 3Dconnexion, which are not available in the PLE version.
I answered with the question if this means all 3dconnexion motion controllers are supported, or not, but maybe you can tell us aswell?

A qucik search on google resulted in this page aswell:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/list_serv ... 84070.html

To be shure it stays here a quote
Subject: Space Pilot & Motion Builder (RE: Puppeteering)
Koenie van Riet @ highend3d.com wrote:Sorry if this is slightly off topic but does anyone know if the Space Pilot
from 3dConnexion works with Motion Builder 7.5?

Thanks,
Koen
Oliver Hotz @ highend3d.com wrote:it does...
Since I currently are evaluating a purchase with the PLE, I can't tell myself, but really like the confimation.

Thanks in advance,
regards,
GT[/quote]
GTWillemsen

MotionBuilder PLE - SpacePilot macro problem

Post by GTWillemsen »

I made a SpacePilot configuration for MotionBuilder 7 PLE.

I assigned some simple macro's like only a W (3dsmax move) and E (3dsmax move),... these do not function (while they do on the keyboard W or E.
But the Esc, Shift, Ctrl and Alt function as they supposed to.... :?

Anything known what might be the reason, or better the solution :?:
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello GTWillemsen,

What configuration did you start with when you made your motionbuilder 7 PLE configuration?

Jim
3Dx Software Development
GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Can't remember, but since you asked, I made a new one from 'any application' and I got the same result as before. Made an other new one from a 3dsmax configuration I once made, and same result.

In between I closed MotionBuilder, Restarted 3Dconnexion ConfigPanel and restarted MotionBuilder - etc. didn't help aswell.
- I think this answers your question?

___

edit:

I see it's not only MotionBuilder, but Photoshop aswell.
But 3ds Max does function as it should, so the buttons do work.
But switching to 3ds Max changes config, but switching back to motionbuilder or photoshop doesn't switch the config....
(and I can't find where I can 'reset'or 'link' configs to the software anymore,.. so probably meshed things up there.
The standard buttons (esc/shift/ctrl/alt) function correctly, but the 1-6 buttons have no responce what so ever (besides the LCD, which gives the corretc result), already restarted the pc, didn't help. :?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi,

The problem is that MotionBuilder never contacts the driver, so the driver doesn't know who it is and doesn't use your config file.

To fix this:
Open your config file in notepad.

Search for EXECUTABLES = {*.*}.

Change *.* to MOTBUILDER.EXE (or whatever the MotionBuilder executable name is -- look in the task mgr when it is running).

Change the value in the line above this called TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL from NO_TRANSPORT to WIN32_KEYBOARD. This tells the driver that it shouldn't wait for MotionBuilder to contact it, it should just use this config file anytime it finds MOTBUILDER.EXE (or whatever it is called) in focus.

Save the config file.

Stop and restart the driver, then start MotionBuilder and select your configuration in the 3DxWare GUI.

Let me know if this resolves your issues. Thanks.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Ok, seems to make sense.
I try, where can I find the config file (or how is it called)?

edit:
Found with *.SCG search the userfiles (which all are called userxx, so you have to open all if you don't know which one you need...?)

But anyway, I have the right file, editted the motionbuilder config the way as told and now Photoshop works fine aswell (it gives CS3 instead of the older version, but anyway, it works again).

Thanks for this solution!

---

This brings an other problem to the surface;
in MotionBuilder you can use the hotkey Q to release pinning, while it is pressed. This doesn't work.
While the W, E, R hotkeys do work (mover, rotate, scale).

My best guess is that normal keys-functionality, normally pressed once, does work (onrelease), but key-down (onpress) doesn't work?
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can find the specific config file in use by hovering over the systray icon.

We are really getting into advanced config file editing here, but if you are willing to give it a go, we might be able to get your Q to work as well.

The problem is that there is no separate press and release of the Q. When you trigger it, the driver sends the press immediately followed by the release. Your only option at this point is to use two separate buttons, one of the press and one for the release.

If you want to do this, identify the Q macro in the config file. It will be something like this (in the BUTTON_CHARACTERS section):

{ USER_002, "Q", " +81:1048577 -81:1048577" }

Separate the two "halves" into two macros as such:

{ USER_002, "Q Press", " +81:1048577" },
{ USER_003, "Q Release", "-81:1048577" }

Save the config file and reload your application.
You can now assign Q Press to one button and Q release to a different button. Unfortunately that's the best we can do right now.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Jep, great.
it does do the trick, but it indeed costs two buttons, one to press and one to release again.

This really gives the suggestion of David Boulder an extra thought.
(see here David's suggestion for button sequals)

Since in my opinion there are already to little buttons, using 2 buttons for one task is a bit to much, although in cetain circumstances it really might be handy.
Offcourse above options should be available for anyone (not just by editting), maybe in the button configurator after every command a few check-boxes or so (press/release/both) and a drop down function to add more then one function, wich makes a press on the button cycle one step forward.

But teh best way for this might be to simple make the buttons 'pressable' - if you press, it automaticly uses the 'OnPress' and if released it automaticly should use 'OnRelease'.

Thanks for your help, this gives a great idea of how it works and what to look for when having issues.
Thanks. :D