Inventor 2013/ space navigator Glitch

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JayJ

Inventor 2013/ space navigator Glitch

Post by JayJ »

Preface - been using Space Navigator (SN) with Inventor for over a year and there's been just 1 problem previously. My system is using Windows 7 64 bit and has 8GB of ram and a Nvidia Quadro FX 580 card.

The Problem: When I'm in Inventor all functions or the space mouse lag - ie. rotate on the SN ---> part in Inventor rotates several seconds later. Then moves normally, then glitchy again. This problem happened after Windows Defender scanned and consequently found no problems.

I've uninstalled the Driver and reinstalled and the problem is the same. Now, here's the peculiar part. If I take the mouse cursor and click it on my second screen, then all functions of the SN work in Inventor. But when I click on the Inventor screen, the glitchy problem reappears. Driving me nuts.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance.
UtaSH

Re: Inventor 2013/ space navigator Glitch

Post by UtaSH »

Hi JayJ,

please check your antivirus/Firwall software and create an exception for the driver (3dxsrv).
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Thanks for reply UtaSH. Unfortunately, the exclusion of 3dxsrv.exe in Avast did not change the lag issue. However, once loaded, the navigator works perfect in 3DS Max. This appears to be an Inventor/3dconnexion recent conflict.

Note: Also tried navigator with Google Earth. No problems.
rprh

Post by rprh »

I'm almost having the same problem. Running Inventor 2014, W7 64bit, with a space navigator (SN) and avast AV.

The 3D movements start to lag when using the SN. When using the free-orbit tools in the inventor UI everything works fine, therefore I think it is caused by the SN.

One way to temporary fix the problem for me was to re-calibrate the SN and restart the software. However after using inventor for about 10 minutes the lagging starts again. Another solution was having another window active, however as soon as inventor window becomes active the lagging starts again. Very frustrating, I'm hoping there is a more permanent fix.

Disabling the virus scanner didn't help same for adding exceptions.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

rph-

I unistalled Inventor 2013 SP1.1. (SP1.0 currently installed.) Navigator now works with a slight glitch (free orbit sometimes with subtle pause but hardly noticeable) - as oppose to the dead stop and go as before.

IMO- 3dConnexion really needs to have a dialog with the Autodesk people to fix this since Autodesk shouldn't really care if their service pack disables any 3rd party devices.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Addendum- SP2(may 9, 2013 release) also gives the same problem as Sp1.1.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Addendum 2: the new 3dconnexion Driver released today (06/03/13) won't fix the lag problem.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello JayJ,

could you please check if you still have problems with the navigation in Inventor if you uninstall the addin for Inventor (3DxInventor)? I just want to verify if the issue comes from the addin or from Inventor.

The navigation with the 3D mouse was implemented in Inventor by Autodesk. That means if you still have the issue when 3DxInventor is not installed you need to address this with the support from Autodesk. Please let me know your findings.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Uta- You're THE MAN. Unloading 3dxInventor did the trick. It has a slight pause at the beginning but the SN functions just fine. No more dead stop. Much appreciated.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Update. Uta You're still the man. But I spoke too soon. That slight pause gets worse the longer I'm in the Inventor environment. Also, there's a drawback in not using 3dxInventor - the left right buttons lose their functionality.

Almost time to scrap the navigator in Inventor since using it is such a headache.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I believe you should do a clean install. You may have a corrupted profile.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/28

P.S Uta is the Woman...
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Fred. Thanks but I've already uninstalled then reinstalled with the latest 3dx driver.
Also, good heads up on the gender assumption. Uta my apologies.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello JayJ,

I am fine with whatever you assume I am ;) as long as we can help you. :D

I asked you to uninstall the plugin to check if the problem is caused by our plugin or is coming from Inventor. If the cause is still there without our plugin then we need the help of Autodesk to solve the problem because the navigation with the 3D mouse in Inventor was implemented by Autodesk.

Fred recommended a clean uninstallation and reinstall, because he assumes a corrupt profile and in the FAQ article it is described how to delete everything from the driver including settings and profiles.

Another thing would be to check if you stop the antivirus software if you still see the lag. Even you say it is working fine in other applications I have heard from some users that it can cause problems in Inventor.

If you still have the problem with the delay in navigating with the 3D mouse (without our plugin installed) please ask Autodesk's support for help. We will do whatever we can to solve the problem, but it seems we need help from Autodesk here.
jagger13

Post by jagger13 »

Hi,Jay
You may check your antivirus/Firwall software and create an exception for the driver (3dxsrv).
imnumberone

Post by imnumberone »

Thank you