Rotation Center in Sketchup based around cursor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonas_Thomas

Rotation Center in Sketchup based around cursor

Post by Jonas_Thomas »

Hello,

I want to move the rotation center in Sketchup to the place where the cursor is, but I don't know how to do this. Jason Maranto explains this in the video below, but the menu appears to have changed since the recording of this video. Also, if I push on "menu" on my Spacemouse Pro, a popup menu appears. But when I go to plugins> at the top of the window, nothing is there to be seen from 3DConnexion.

The video: http://www.vtc.com/modules/products/mov ... arty+Tools

Thanks for the help!

Pieter
ngomes

Re: Rotation Center in Sketchup based around cursor

Post by ngomes »

With SketchUp running and on the foreground (selected), open the "3Dconnexion Properties" and assign the command "Set Rotation Center" to a device button. Then switch back to the application, press the button (which will start a SketchUp "tool") and click where you want the rotation center to be.

You may also want to disable the "Auto Rotation Center" feature. Open the popup menu (normally this command is assigned to "Menu" or left button) and modify the option in the "Rotation Center" sub-menu.
Jonas_Thomas

Post by Jonas_Thomas »

Hello ngomes,

Thanks for your answer. This is a different solution then the one that is explained in the videolink I have posted earlier. Jason Maranto actualy only moves his cursor, and the rotation center automaticaly follows his cursor, without the need to clik or to open up a tool. Does anyone know how I can achieve this?

Thanks!

Pieter
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Jonas_Thomas,

I believe Jason is using an earlier version of our extension for SketchUp. In recent versions, we have improved the "auto" algorithm to set the rotation centre without being effected by a the mouse pointer (the user is now free to continue the designing using the pointer and keep the navigation under control).

The "auto" works by taken the scene and setting the rotation centre appropriately: if the scene/model is in full view, the rotation centre is set to the centre of the visible geometry (centre of bounding box). The user moves the model up close to the view camera (zooms in), then the algorithm kick starts a different process and sets the rotation to a point centred on the view and on top of the model. This keeps the rotation centre always within the view to facilitate control.

Jason's preferred setting (set rotation centre on selected model) is still available as before.
Jonas_Thomas

Post by Jonas_Thomas »

Hello ngomes,

Ok, thanks for your answer!

Pieter
madeharo

Post by madeharo »

The current driver 3.16.3 for sketchup 2013 does not work. (In windows 7 - 64)

I read that all users of the new version of Sketchup same thing happen to them.

We are expecting a new revision of the driver or any urgent patch to solve the problem.

Thank you.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

HI madeharo,
The current driver 3.16.3 for sketchup 2013 does not work. (In windows 7 - 64)
3Dconnexion will be issuing a software update with support for SU 2013. We expect this to happen within two to tree weeks.
cdturner87

Post by cdturner87 »

I emailed 3DConnexion regarding this feature in September and was told that the Product Team is already looking into it and that the chances are not that bad that this way of setting the rotation point is going to be available in the future.

I was hopeful that they would include it in 3DxWare 10 however it looks at though they have decided against it which is a real shame.

For me (and others where I work) the option to set the rotation center to the cursor is an almost make or break feature! The auto algorithm is ok but can never replace the ability to choose precisely where you would like to rotate around from. Often it sets the rotation center far from where you are modelling (or intend to model next), causing the view to disappear off to the side. From discussions online and in the office it seems many people have this issue and solving it would make this product perfect!

Can anyone suggest any other 3D mice that have this feature?