SpacePilot Pro and Logitech LCD Manager

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ben_r_

SpacePilot Pro and Logitech LCD Manager

Post by ben_r_ »

So I just bought a SpacePilot Pro and installed the drivers/software directly from the 3DConnexion website and it doesnt appear that the LCD Manager was installed because when I click the button in the configuration app it does not launch the LCD Manager. So I proceeded to do some Google searching and I cant find the Logitech LCD Manager anywhere to download by itself. All I can find is the Logitech Gaming software. Is that what is used now to manage the SpacePilot Pro's LCD? I also tried sticking the SpacePilot Pro CD in and seeing if the Logitech LCD Manager was available on that to install, but all it does it tell me Im already running a later version of the software and says Ill have to uninstall that first and then shuts down.
ben_r_

Re: SpacePilot Pro and Logitech LCD Manager

Post by ben_r_ »

Well, I got it all working. Ended up having to uninstall the latest drivers/software and installing from the CD the older software and ignore when it asked me if I wanted to check online and download the latest. Worked fine and let me install the LCD Manager which now gives me control of the LCD functions. Then I just downloaded the latest drivers/software and it updated the older stuff. Now Im good to go :)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ben_r_,

This should have not happened but we're glad to see that you have sorted it out. You may have initially installed the 3DxSoftware edition for non-SpacePilot Pro devices as it does not include the LCD Manager software.

We're switching to an integrated installer for all devices in 3DxWare 10 Beta which will address that particular problem.
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

Nope, now that you mentioned that, I remember that is exactly what happened! I have both the SpaceNavigator and the SpacePilot Pro and on the computer I had the issue with I had previously installed and been using the SpaceNavigator as I got that one first. When I moved that to my laptop/portable setup and got the SpacePilot Pro, I assumed the previously installed software would detect it and it would work fine. And it all did, EXCEPT for the LCD Manager program. Since its an externally launched program it really should be available separately for download on the 3Dconnexion website. But going one step further than that, it really should be integrated into the 3Dconnexion software package and active when the software detects a SpacePilot Pro.

I have been a huge Logitech fan my entire life, since these days:

And I continue to be thoroughly impressed by their products. I cant wait to update to this 3DxWare 10 when it comes out of beta and see what all has changed and been added.
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

hello, i am also having an issue with the LCD manager not launching. when i go into the windows control panel and try to uninstall my old driver i get a message saying "Please insert dist 1 that contains the file layout.bin." i do not have a disk. does anybody know what i can do to get around this. thanks
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

Hmmm... Maybe try reinstalling the software/driver from a download from the 3Dconnexion website and then try uninstalling it again.
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

i have tried that, i attached the message i get when i try to download the driver.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 23115 times
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

Okay, what if you go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver by right clicking on it and uninstalling first? Does that make any difference?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello khornocker -

A 'Please insert Disk 1 ...' error means there is 3Dconnexion software installed on your PC that is no longer linked to its uninstall information.

To remove it use the steps here . Since Windows cannot complete the uninstall, begin with the second part of Step #2 - the manual removal the 3Dconnexion folder in C:\Program Files. Check both C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files [x86] on a 64-bit OS and remove the 3Dconnexion folders. Delete C:\Program Files \Logitech\Game Panel Software to remove the Logitech LCD Manager folder.

Clear the Windows Temp folder to remove components of partial installations. You can do that manually or with Disk Cleanup [right-click on C: drive ,choose Properties , Disk Cleanup , check the box for Temporary Files]

The current 3Dconnexion software [3DxWare] has Logitech LCD Manager integrated into it. The older 3Dconnexion software [3DxSoftware] has separate versions for the SpacePilot PRO and non-LCD devices. It is possible to have 3DxSoftware installed without the Logitech LCD Manager but all 3DxWare installations include it.

When the Logitech LCD Manager is not running, only the picture of the SpacePilotPRO is displayed on the LCD. If the screen is black the display is turned off - the 'gear' button on the upper right corner of the SpacePilotPRO turns it on. If the display was working then stopped , re-start it by unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. The display should say 'Initializing...

When it is running the Logitech LCD Manager has an icon in the System Tray. Open its 'Programs' section to be sure there are check marks in the columns for 'Enabled' and 'SpacePilotPRO' both columns for each applet that you want to display on the LCD. You may need to scroll to the right to view the 'SpacePilotPRO' column.

------------------
Barbara
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

im still getting the same message as before.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello khornocker -

That would mean that something still has not been completely removed.

Make sure the driver is not running when you begin the removal steps. Unplug the SpacePilot PRO. If the driver is running there will be a System Tray icon for it. Right-click on the System Tray icon and click 'Exit' or 'Stop driver'.

This thread has the steps to correct the 'Insert Disk 1' error in more detail. This one has the registry entry for the installer.

It is usually not so difficult to remove a driver. A driver component has been left behind somehow. Once it is removed there will be no reference to 3Dconnexion on the PC so the installer will not find a conflict.
________
Barbara
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

thanks. ill give this a try here in a bit. once I delete the files and folders that i need to do I need to empty my recycle bin? that might have been my issue before.
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

so I went through the step by step instructions again and im still having issues. once I was done deleting everything I went into the add/remove page and saw the first attached image. then when I try to remove the old driver I get the second image.
Attachments
Capture-2.JPG
Capture-2.JPG (32.08 KiB) Viewed 22957 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.26 KiB) Viewed 22957 times
khornocker

Post by khornocker »

oops. I have the pictures reversed.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello khornocker -

The 5004 error happens when the installer does not find sufficient privileges to install the software.

The 3Dconnexion software needs to be installed installed from a profile with full administrator privileges.

If this is a networked PC and you do not have full permissions, an IT person needs to do the installation. If it is a home PC, you need to log in from an administrator profile to run the installation.