Keymapping / Direct Input

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

kgrosser

Keymapping / Direct Input

Post by kgrosser »

Hello,
Is there a way to realise keymapping (via SDK or upcomming drivers) like it is avauilable on the Logitech NulooQ control panel, which appears to be based on very similar technology?
Or even better to create a direct input device that appears as a game controller, because there are enough tools out there that would then allow to reprogram this device to free extent as virtual keyboard or mouse and control virtually any application including MIDI parameters! That would be highly appreciated and extent the devide's use beyond any limitations.....

(maybe that had better been posted in the OS & application feedback forum. If so, please feel free to move it, admin)
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello kgrosser:

At this time, unfortunately, no. Our intent is to provide a device and software which gives the user a natural and smooth navigational experience in 3D. Certainly understand where you are coming from, and if this makes sense for us at a future time, we will certainly consider.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
malfean

Keymapping...

Post by malfean »

Hello.

I too was wondering, if it would be possible to use spacenavigator in other windows apps, like games. Either by some special driver, or better yet, programmable emulation of joystic axis.
I bought one and its what i thought it would be and more.
Really look foward to use it in games.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi malfean:

We will be offering a new SDK and in the first part of next year, and we hope that more and more third-party companies will adopt support for our devices. At the moment, what is offered by us or by third-party companies is listed on our website.

Thank you for the input and keep it coming!

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »

malfean : it s posssible with SDK.

I ve start writing a application , using SpaceNavigator as "Joystick" , "Keyboard" or "Mouse".

It works fine, but not finalized for 2 problems :

- 1) some data comming from Spacenavigator SDK are out of value and i ve not yet found a way to "filter" them.

- 2) i ve start this app b4 receive my device , so it was on my friend computer and device , but , he is with Windows XP.
Now, i ve try on my computer , and saw with horror that Spacenavigator (Driver) doesnt work under Vista.

I have to rewrite all my input class to read direct HID instead of using siappdll.dll from 3D Connexion.
rztaylor

Post by rztaylor »

That sounds fantastic RBC9 - are you willing to share your application with us so that we can test it for you? :D
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »

rztaylor wrote:That sounds fantastic RBC9 - are you willing to share your application with us so that we can test it for you? :D
i ll give bin/src in a few days , when i ll have made some cleaning step in my awnfull code :)

Actualy i get all HID info (6 axes X Y Z rX rY rZ and 2 boutons)
and send them to PPJoy joystick emulator.

i want to have a simple user interface to change bouton/axe to Key emulation / mouse clic.

(and i 've not yet found a way to turn on the blue light :( )

seems the 2 byte input for this HID doesnt react ...
inspiringfallacy

Post by inspiringfallacy »

haha, seems like we had the same idea

i've got a working exe on my site

http://blog.ifallacy.com

pm/comment if you want the source

RBC9: have you looked at GlovePIE? they're using it extensively in Wiimote development (wiili.org) and it makes it really easy for you to map keycommands to the buttons (supposing you map the buttons to ppjoy joystick buttons) i'm interested in your approach - did you use the IOCTL (exe) interface as well or did you do something more creative =] like .dll?
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »

hi inspiringfallacy,

i've saw the wii project but i don t use it.( for the moment ?)

i have a look on ur work, and seems that what i ve done in first step.

U use 3DConnexion Lib and get data from 3D driver.

But , at this day, 3d driver hang Vista installation , so i re-write my code to get data from HID directly and don t use anymore 3dconnexion driver.

For Joystick emulation i use IOCTRL from PPJoy , no time to re-do what this guys create and works fine.

For Keyb/ Mouse emulation , i prefer to write my Keymapping routine , because i want to have an Auto-Detect application , to have multi profil active with the focused application.

and , in some case create particular fonction, like , ie , when i push down SpaceNav , i want : press "Win" key and "Tab" key , then release "Tab", and wait ..
so i can use left/right rotation to switch application , and press again down (release "Win" key) .... and voila ...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi RBC9,
RBC9 wrote:and saw with horror that Spacenavigator (Driver) doesnt work under Vista.
Please refer to the Microsoft Vista support post.
Nuno Gomes
inspiringfallacy

Post by inspiringfallacy »

RBC9, i see what you're saying - that was my original thought, to use the HID specification, but as i am a terrible coder (this is probably my first or second stab at C) i had no idea how to implement it - i look forward to yours as it seems like it will jump through fewer hoops and be a more direct implementation (my implementation requires at least 3 or 4 processes to be running at a time, it seems like your simpler solution will be more effective =] )

also, if you're using the HID way to implement it, there's a good chance you could port your script to linux w/ the xinput library - i'm sure lots of people could make good use of that =]
wipeer

progress

Post by wipeer »

RBC9 How it looks with you work?
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »