Form Z and Cinema 4D

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

amirpasha

Form Z and Cinema 4D

Post by amirpasha »

Hi,
I`ve purchased my space navigator and it does work with lots of the programs that I use and it does not work with the rest of them. I use Form Z and Cinema 4D a lot and unfortunately space navigator does not work in those applications. Is there any plugin that I should download to make them work? Thanks.
agoenczi
User
User

Form Z and Cinema 4D

Post by agoenczi »

Hi amirpasha

Both applications you mentioned have support for our devices. Please contact the corresponding software manufacturer in order to get help for using your SpaceNavigator, as they integrated support for our 3D navigation devices.
agoenczi
ghannigan

Post by ghannigan »

C4D has built in support. In the R10 Menu:

Window>Space Mouse>Space Mouse Dialog

It must be open for the Nav. to work. You can pin it as a tab with the Managers to save screen space. Save the Layout & it will load automatically.
jayse

Post by jayse »

Great news! But how do you get the buttons to work?
ghannigan

Post by ghannigan »

Open the 3dconnexion control panel, set up your button functions, then: Options>Save As>"Config Name" (eg C4D). This C4D Config should reload when you start C4D.
jayse

Post by jayse »

Thanks Ghannigan! yep i had been doing that. Was hoping something was preset for that - but i've been making it work. Only weird thing is:

Now the C4d preset seems to be stuck for everything that's not assigned (is that how it's supposed to be?)

and lastly - if I work out a good keyboard shortcut scheme - can that be exported and uploaded here to share?

Thanks!

// jayse
ghannigan

Post by ghannigan »

jayse wrote:
Now the C4d preset seems to be stuck for everything that's not assigned (is that how it's supposed to be?)
Sorry, I don't understand. What is it that is stuck?
jwick

Post by jwick »

jayse,

Do you mean "stuck" in the sense that the driver shows your C4D config while you are in another unsupported application? That is the way the driver works. It doesn't change configs unless it has a better config to go to. If you switch to an app like notepad, there probably is no config for notepad, so the driver just leaves your C4D config in place. If you switch to an app that does have a config, like 3DsMax, Maya or the jet demo, it should change.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
jayse

Post by jayse »

YEAH that's what I meant - that gets confusing - but i kind of understand the reasoning. Thanks for the explanation.

Now i'd like to export those c4d settings so I can use them on other computers. Is that possible?

// jayse
jwick

Post by jwick »

Simple enough. Just copy the userXX.scg file from one machine to another.

Hover over the 3Dx icon in the systray while your config is loaded, the balloon will tell you which userXX.scg is used. That file is in %APPDATA%\3dconnexion\3dxware\profiles. Copy that file to another machine and restart the driver on the other machine.

If you are truly clever (cleverer than me), you can even set this up to happen automagically. Active Domain can share user profiles (%APPDATA% dirs), or login scripts can copy things around, or so I am told...

Jim
3Dx Software Development
jayse

Post by jayse »

Thank you! Luckily i guessed right and copied those exact files from home.

It'd be nice if they were named what I named them, ie 'C4d r10' etc.

Thanks tho! it's workin'!

// jayse
jwick

Post by jwick »

Terrific. Glad you have that import/export feature working.

You can see which configuration you are looking at by editing the scg file with notepad. I let Windows Explorer associate the .scg extension with notepad so I can just double click on it.

The title you see when your configuration is loaded is saved in the 13th line of the file. E.g.,

APPLICATION_NAME = "Any Application - jwick"

Jim
3Dx Software Development
jayse

Post by jayse »

now it's making more sense. Thanks so much!
cogombo

Post by cogombo »

Hello. I have a new Space Navigator device. I use Cinema 4D.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi cogombo,

Please read the post in this thread here and the following posts. If you have any further questions, please post here again.
agoenczi