4000 FLX serial on XP x64 with Solidworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

gjaerum

4000 FLX serial on XP x64 with Solidworks

Post by gjaerum »

Hi,
After getting a new computer running XP x64, I cannot install 3DxSoftware_v2-8-2.exe. When picking custom setup and addin for Solidworks I get a message saying the driver might not install correctly.
When picking typical setup, the installation finish, but nothing happens.
No folders created, and no reg entry

Please help
Gjaerum
Peter

Post by Peter »

Dear gjaerum,
3D Connexion devices with serial connections were not engineered to function with a 64bit operating system.
tomtefar

4000 FLX serial, no way to make it work with 64 bit Windows?

Post by tomtefar »

I just read Peters answer to gjaerum and I'm not sure I like it. Sure there must be a way to make the Spaceball 4000 FLX serial to work under a 64 bit operating system?
What about using a USB-to-Serial cabel (http://www.superlogics.com/usb-serial-a ... 4-1022.htm) or a virtual one (www.virtual-rs232.com/virtualcontrol.html)?

You can't really mean we all must by a new Spaceball just because you can't fix a simple emulator! How hard can it be? It's just signals to and from a serial port. We're not talking about making a new trip to the moon!!! I bet my last penny on the Linux community guys fixing in a blink of an eye. Or could it be you're trying to force us to by new things from you?

Please fix this pronto.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi tomtefar

Actually the serial devices are not any more supported under Windows. Connecting a 3dconnection device with an adapter will not resolve the problem.
agoenczi
tomtefar

Post by tomtefar »

You make me absolutely gobsmacking.
Amazing is the word! This means I and thousands of other blokes must fork out a massive +500 EURO for a new thing doing the exact same work with nothing extra compared to the ones we already got in our possesion. And this for a stunning +500 EURO!!!
It's bloody robbery if ye ask me!!!
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi tomtefar

Please visit our website and take a look at our current product palette. The prices are more moderate and the new devices are unique.

I am sure that you will find a suitable device for your application (-s).
agoenczi
vader1976

Post by vader1976 »

I was running Windows XP 64-bit with a Spaceball 4000 (serial) using SolidWorks 64-bit without a problem. My IT dept gave me a bigger hard drive & now it doens't work. I can't remember which driver I installed, but on my old HD the date was 8/14/2006
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi vader1976

3Dconnexion doesn't support serial devices under Windows any more.

I would recommend you an upgrade to a USB device which has support in the newest software version (v3-x-x).

The last release which worked with serial devices is the 3DxSoftware v2-8-2, however not all applications were supported on Windows XP 64 bit version. This version is still available to download, but you will have to use the software "as is", no support is delivered any more.
agoenczi