Longtime 3DS Max bug

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

renderfarmer

Longtime 3DS Max bug

Post by renderfarmer »

This is a bug that has been around for as long as I can remember and I keep hoping it will get fixed but it never does.

In 3DS Max (versions 7 through 9) when I import an object using PowerTranslators or merge objects from two scenes "Suspend Motion" often (but not always) gets automatically flipped on forcing me to go into the 3DX control panel to un-check it before I can go on with your work.

Has anyone else run into this?
mbonk

Re: Longtime 3DS Max bug

Post by mbonk »

renderfarmer wrote:"Suspend Motion" often (but not always) gets automatically flipped on
There are a number of notifications that Max sends StartSomething and later EndTheSame which cause the 'Suspend Motion' to get automatically checked and later unchecked. The simply reason being that navigating could cause Max to crash. THe plug-in relies on the Start, End sequence so it would appear that an End notification is being lost.

I am not a 3ds Max user so could you give me a simple test scenario where this happens fairly often- something a long the lines of Open this, press that button, select ... etc.

Markus
renderfarmer

Post by renderfarmer »

Yeah, I figured that it was some sort of preventative measure 3DXware took, but it seems to forget to un-check suspend motion allot.

The frustrating thing for diagnosing the problem is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time, just very often (~75%)

The most likely scenario to reproduce the problem:

File>Merge>"Select file with some object">"Select desired object from list

The other scenraio which causes the problem less frequently is:

file>import>"Choose file type and select file (2D or 3D)
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

renderfarmer wrote:The frustrating thing for diagnosing the problem is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time, just very often (~75%)
Sporadically, once every hour/day/week would be aweful, very often should make it fairly easy to diagnose, thanks.

I'll get back to you when we know more.
I have logged this as Issue 4386

Markus
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

The current status is that we cannot really reproduce the issue with merge or with import under normal operation. However, if we do an import and then cancel the operation the 'Suspend Motion' box remains checked. We think that when the 'Suspend Motion' remains checked after a merge this may well be because part of the merge/import is failing (which results in a different notification being sent).
renderfarmer

Post by renderfarmer »

Yeah, It's incredibly random. I import just about everything I render in Max from Solidworks or Pro/E and I still haven't found a clear pattern to what triggers the problem.

Canceling the import definitely locks it up, and trying to move the spacepilot while it's importing something seems to lock it up more often than not, but other than that it seems totally random. If the import is failing, it's on an internal level that doesn't affect the output.

Thanks for looking into it anyway.

-phil
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

renderfarmer,
Great News! :D This issue has been resolved. The fix is available in 3DxSoftware 3.3.2. Please give it a try and post your feedback. :D

Thanks,
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company