SpaceBall4000FLX Serial

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

MarkB

SpaceBall4000FLX Serial

Post by MarkB »

I know that there's been a lot of post on the Spaceball 4000 FLX (Serial Version) already, so sorry if I haven't read into it deep enough, but is there anyway to run the the Spaceball 4000 through the serial port?

Currently I'm running it through a serial to USB adapter, using the 2.8.2 drivers and everything is running fine, but I am trying to free up some of my USB ports so I don't have to purchase a USB hub, and would like to utilize my serial port.

I've tried plugging the spaceball into the serial port and restarting but get the error that the device indicated in the registry could not be found? and clicking retry only returns a no 3D motion controller found.

I don't think it's that my serial port isn't enabled either as I use it to program a personal logic controller through the port, but if it is that how would I check that it is enabled for the spaceball?

Any help would be appreciated

-Mark
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi MarkB,

Of course your 4000FLX should work on your serial port (if you use old 3Dx drivers).

When the driver says it can't find the device, you are asked if you want to search. If you say yes (there are three options), it will search all of your serial ports trying to find the device. If it can find it, it will beep twice during that detection phase. If it doesn't beep that probably means it can not communicate with it. It could be that the serial port is turned off in the BIOS. Or some other process has the device tied up. See if your logic controller software needs to be disabled.

If you know the name of the COM port you are using, you can just change the registry entry the driver uses to remember this. It is:
HKLM/software/3dconnexion/3dxware/device 1/Comm Port.

If none of that helps, turn on the log file in the driver's GUI (tools->) and see if the log file (in %APPDATA%/3dconnexion/3dxware) gives you any errors.

Let us know.

Jim
3Dx Software Development