Magellan Spacemouse XT Plus Serial over USB

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dds

Magellan Spacemouse XT Plus Serial over USB

Post by dds »

A friend of mine gave me his spacemouse xt plus to use. It has a serial connection. I am using laptop and my laptop doesn't have serial port. Because of this i bought a rs232 to usb adapter. I installed 2-8-2 driver from the drivers page. when i connected the device to my laptop it found a USB Device and i couldn't make spacemouse to work :( When i started driver it says "no 3d motion controller could be detected". I tried 3-1-8 driver and the result was same. Is there any way to make it work with my laptop?
Peter

Post by Peter »

dds,
Serial to USB adapters will not provide proper connectivity/functionality with 3D Connexion motion controllers.
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
dds

Post by dds »

Hi Peter,
It is enough for me If it provides basic functions. Is there anyway for this?
jwick

Post by jwick »

dds,

Theoretically the USB to COM connector should work. It makes an extra COM port. It does not turn the device into a USB device. Therefore it won't work with the new drivers, which only support USB devices. It will only work with the old 2.8.2 drivers you downloaded, if at all.

Make sure the USB converter is creating a new COM port in your device manager. If it isn't, it doesn't work on your machine. If it is, it still may not work because the SM-XT requires power from the COM port and it may not supply enough of it.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
matrix

Post by matrix »

Also make sure you install the usb to serial adapter drivers BEFORE you plugin the spaceball.
pingfx

Driver

Post by pingfx »

I have this version as well and cannot even find the 2.8.2 drivers. Can someone post a link to them? Can this device be used for gaming?

Thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi pingfx,

go to our driver download site and select your device (SpaceMouse Plus serial?). In the middle box select "Windows". You will then see in the right box "3DxSoftware 2.8.2". This is the one you are looking for. Select it and click to the button below "DOWNLOAD DRIVER".

If the manufacturer of a game implemented the support for our 3D mouse you can use it, but the 3D mouse was mainly designed for professional CAD use. Please see our list of supported applications for a complete overview.