Maya - meters as working units - precision problems

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

loukana

Maya - meters as working units - precision problems

Post by loukana »

Hello

I just recently started to work with a 3DConnexion mouse, and I'm encountering a problem in Maya 2013. As I'm working in a scene in meters, instead of the default centimeters, my mouse is hypersensible, and it's very hard to do precise movements. Even a small push can send my camera far from where I wanted it to be, and I have no other option that to do a focus to see the scene again. Is there a way to change the sensibility of the mouse ?

Thanks in advance.
Barbara

Re: Maya - meters as working units - precision problems

Post by Barbara »

Hello loukana -

The problem is specific the Maya add-in rather than to the device sensitivity. When Maya dimensions are set to anything other than centimeters, the center of rotation is not able to be calculated correctly.

This issue is tracked by our developers as bug #6046. I'm not sure where it is on the development schedule. If you are not already using Release 3.16.1, update to the current release and check our download page for updates. You can find your driver release in the 3Dconnexion Properties window under Help|About.

The Release Notes .PDF posted on our download page with each software release will show when the Maya add-in is updated.
-----------------------
Barbara
loukana

Post by loukana »

Thank you for your reply. I updated the plugin as you said, and there was some progress, but there are still problems with the translations. I guess I'll wait for the next updates... :-) Thanks again !
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi loukana ,

The issue that Barbara is referring is related to the problem you reported but is not the same problem. Bug 6046 was fixed in release 3DxSoftware v. 3.16.1.

We tracking the issues with speed changing with precision with number 6239.
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

Yeah had the same problem. To fix that I just changed to centimeters and continued using meters but doing the conversion myself.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

Has there been any movement on this? I'm using Maya at work now and we work in meters. Of course I can always compensate/convert prior to export, but I'd REALLY like to have one less step to have to deal with.