Maya 2013

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tmcthree

Maya 2013

Post by tmcthree »

Hmmm I can't seem to get my space explorer to work with maya 2013 trial at all :$

I'm using windows 7 64bit.

The mouse seems to work with all of my other software,
Fred

Re: Maya 2013

Post by Fred »

You will have to ask Autodesk if they allow add-ins to load in the trial versions.
If they say yes the Trial version also allows add-ins then folow the steps below

The 3Dconnexion plug-in in Maya depends on the command MagellanStartup being executed by the usersetup.mel. When another script or add-in is installed it can overwrite the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel.

To confirm this is the problem you are seeing, type "MagellanStartup" [ without the quotes ] at the Maya command line. This should enable navigation. If it does not, it will generate an error that will let us know what the problem is.

If your 3Dconnexion device starts when you type "MagellanStartup" at the command prompt but is not auto-starting, that would indicate the MagellanStartup; command needs to be added to your active usersetup.mel.

Maya will only load the first usersetup.mel it finds. If you have other scripts or add-ins such as Maya's Bonus Tools or GoZ , they add their own usersetup.mel files. To find which version of usersetup.mel Maya is using , at the Maya command line type

whatIs userSetup.mel

Open the usersetup.mel and add the line MagellanStartup; at the end. If you do not have any versions of usersetup.mel, you can create one - a plain text file with a single line

MagellanStartup;
Firebert85

Post by Firebert85 »

[quote]Open the usersetup.mel and add the line MagellanStartup; at the end. If you do not have any versions of usersetup.mel, you can create one - a plain text file with a single line [/quote]

I also am getting no response from Maya 2013 (non-trial) with the space explorer pro, win 7 64bit.

And where prey tell is this "usersetup.mel" file located? and how do we know if we dont have one, and where do we need to create a new one if we dont?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Firebert85 -

We can help with the usersetup.mel - but unless you are seeing "MagellanStartup" [without quotes] typed at the Maya command line enable navigation, the usersetup.mel is not what is causing the problem.

It is more likely a permissions issue. If Maya is run as administrator, the 3Dconnexion software also needs to be run as administrator.

To add administrator privleges to 3dxsrv.exe:

1. Close Maya
2.Stop the driver [Start|All Programs|3Dconnexion |Driver| Stop Driver]
3. Right click on "3dxsrv.exe" , choose Properties --> select the Compatibility tab --> select Run as administrator [C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion|\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\3dxsrv.exe]
4. Start the driver [Start|All Programs|3Dconnexion |Driver| Start Driver]
5. Restart Maya.

If permissions were the issue, you should see navigation in Maya.

If typing MagellanStartup at the Maya command line enables navigation , you can use the usersetup.mel file to have 3DxMaya autostart so that typing the command is not needed.

As long as Maya is closed during the 3Dconnexion installation , it should add usersetup.mel to your Maya ...\scripts\startup\ folder - this is usually C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2012\scripts\startup.

If for some reason it does not, you can find it at C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxMaya64\scripts and copy it to your Maya ...\scripts\startup\ folder.

This usersetup.mel includes only the line
MagellanStartup;

Other add-ins come with their own usersetup.mel. If you already have an instance of usersetup.mel loading other commands you can just add the line MagellanStartup; at the end. Maya will load the first usersetup.mel it finds in the Maya ...\scripts\startup\ folder.

------------
Barbara
tmcthree

Post by tmcthree »

Hi Barbara,

Sorry I dropped out of this thread, I got caught up in some work on 3ds max and by the time I got finished, my trial had run out. :? Anyway now I have a paid for version of Maya, so....

So I tried MagellanStartup and I got the error, // Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup".

I'm using 3d anywhere. Is that ok?
tmcthree

Post by tmcthree »

Hi Barbara,

So, I can't seem to follow these instructions..

1. Close Maya
2.Stop the driver [Start|All Programs|3Dconnexion |Driver| Stop Driver]
3. Right click on "3dxsrv.exe" , choose Properties --> select the Compatibility tab --> select Run as administrator [C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion|\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\3dxsrv.exe]
4. Start the driver [Start|All Programs|3Dconnexion |Driver| Stop Driver]
5. Restart Maya.

Which makes me think we're not talking about the same driver.
I have found 3dxService.exe, which I've changed to run as admin, but no luck,

I've also tried loading 3dxMaya.mll but I get the error,

// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "_3DxOnDeviceChanged".

I've also found MagellanStartup.mel and I've tried executing it in the script editor but again, no luck.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi tmcthree -

You're right - those steps are for the released driver. The add-ins are the same as in the beta driver - but everything else is different ... and I see you've moved on to the beta forum .
--------------
Barbara
pvogel2

Post by pvogel2 »

Thank you for your answer, Fred, I recently I had exactly the problem that MagellanStartup was missing in the startupScript. Your explanation quickly gave me the sollution.
Fred wrote:You will have to ask Autodesk if they allow add-ins to load in the trial versions.
If they say yes the Trial version also allows add-ins then folow the steps below

The 3Dconnexion plug-in in Maya depends on the command MagellanStartup being executed by the usersetup.mel. When another script or add-in is installed it can overwrite the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel.

To confirm this is the problem you are seeing, type "MagellanStartup" [ without the quotes ] at the Maya command line. This should enable navigation. If it does not, it will generate an error that will let us know what the problem is.

If your 3Dconnexion device starts when you type "MagellanStartup" at the command prompt but is not auto-starting, that would indicate the MagellanStartup; command needs to be added to your active usersetup.mel.

Maya will only load the first usersetup.mel it finds. If you have other scripts or add-ins such as Maya's Bonus Tools or GoZ , they add their own usersetup.mel files. To find which version of usersetup.mel Maya is using , at the Maya command line type

whatIs userSetup.mel

Open the usersetup.mel and add the line MagellanStartup; at the end. If you do not have any versions of usersetup.mel, you can create one - a plain text file with a single line

MagellanStartup;