Changing from full 3D control to only 2D Pan / Zoom.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bjermy

Post by bjermy »

I have been using the navigator for a while now on Inventor and it has become very useful in my everyday design life. However there is one area where I have to stop using the navigator and go back to using the mouse.

When modeling a 3D part, 2D sketches must be created in order to then create the 3D geometry. E.g. click a face plane and choose to sketch on this plane. By default Inventor spins the parts to "look at" this said plane, from which you can draw a 2D sketch. From this point if you touch the navigator it will spin the part in all 3 dimensions and thus makes it very difficult to sketch onto.

My colleague has a Space pilot and this has a "3D Lock" button. When Inventor has spun the part onto the 2D plane this button allows you to Pan and Zoom only. This keeps the 2D sketch in plan view but still allows control with the mushroom.

Is this feature avaliable with Navigator. Ideally this command could be assigned to one of two buttons or via a keyboard short-cut.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi bjeremy

Please enable the add-in toolbar while you use Inventor in Sketch Mode (the add-in automatically detects the mode you use).

Launch the button mapping editor, and choose 3DxWare under "Categories". Under "Commands" you will find a record "Rotation". Drag this command over a button of the SpaceNavigator. With the button you choose you will be able to toggle the rotation (-s).
agoenczi