space pilot on windows 8 with 3ds max

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

thad

space pilot on windows 8 with 3ds max

Post by thad »

I´m having a problem with either driver, borth regular and beta.

worked fine on windows 7, and works on most applications ive tested on windows 8, but, its making 3ds max crash upon start. tried reinstalllign everything to test this out.

if i uninstall conexxion drivers, it works fine, if i install it, it crashes.

just so i know, will space pilot have support on windows 8? are there plans for new drivers for w8 soon? do you want me to send anything in order to help solve this? i posted on the beta driver a few days ago but got nothing.

im about to give up windows 8 for the only thing that gave me issues on it, this driver.

thanks in advance
Fred

Re: space pilot on windows 8 with 3ds max

Post by Fred »

Windows 8 is still in Beta, 3DConnexion does not support Beta OS until it has been released for retail.
I believe late October is the date range Windows 8 release.
The programmers are currently working on a driver that will pass Win 8 certification.
When this is completed they will make an announcement and post a driver on the website.
thad

Post by thad »

Fred wrote:Windows 8 is still in Beta, 3DConnexion does not support Beta OS until it has been released for retail.
I believe late October is the date range Windows 8 release.
The programmers are currently working on a driver that will pass Win 8 certification.
When this is completed they will make an announcement and post a driver on the website.
no it isnt beta, i have an activated final rtm that its being distributed by msdn for more than a week now

but if you guys are waiting for retail to make a move, its alright and i understand. thanks for the reply and ill check back soon then
thad

Post by thad »

so, windows 8 is officially out, any ETA on compatible drivers?

like i previously said upon install it makes my 3dmax 12 crash.

since i didnt want to go back to seven ive put aside my space pilot for almost 2 months now (since win8 was released on msdn) and im eagerly waiting to be able to use it again :D

any word?

thanks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

The driver was released on 10/19/2012 that support Win 8. Go to our home page Click Services, Driver download
Choose your device, OS and search,
thad

Post by thad »

just downloaded it, and unfortunately max 2012 still crashes. when i uninstall the driver it returns to work fine. (but works fine on sketchup and modo, as it did with previous drivers).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi thad,
just downloaded it, and unfortunately max 2012 still crashes. when i uninstall the driver it returns to work fine. (but works fine on sketchup and modo, as it did with previous drivers).
The plug-in uses the Max API, obviously enough, but Max 2012 was not qualified for Win8, as far as I understand.

We believe there is an applicaton incompatibility with the new OS, not with 3Dx drivers.
thad

Post by thad »

ngomes wrote:Hi thad,
The plug-in uses the Max API, obviously enough, but Max 2012 was not qualified for Win8, as far as I understand.

We believe there is an applicaton incompatibility with the new OS, not with 3Dx drivers.
hi thanks for the reply

so, even thought max 2012 works completely fine in windows 8, and only crashes with 3dx drivers, its max´s fault? while at the same time noone even asking for a crash report or something? right.

i cannot afford max 13 right now, and dont intend to downgrade windows, so i guess ill look into other devices that work with max 12 and try to resell or simply throw out this space pilot.

thanks i guess.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi thad,
so, even thought max 2012 works completely fine in windows 8, and only crashes with 3dx drivers, its max´s fault? while at the same time noone even asking for a crash report or something? right.
We don't know what is causing the problem and it difficult to blame the offending piece of code.

The 3Dconnexion plug-in for Max uses the API to enable 3D mouse support in the application. The add-in's code should be correct (as indicated by no crash being reproduced on Windows 7) but there's clearly something that is tripping it to cause the crash.

We're looking into this. Even if the add-in code is correct (and the problem lies with Max's API on Win8), we may be able work it out with Autodesk.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

This issue is internally tracked with #6237.
thad

Post by thad »

im glad, and i appreciate your effort, thanks

have been considering going all in with luxology´s modo and that would also fix this problem for me, but modo doesnt import directly cad files, and thats a huge part of my work pipeline. been searching for a workaround though.
Konras

Post by Konras »

I have encountered same problem on windows 8 with 3ds Max 2012.
Everything works fine on first launch, but it crash at startup after restarting 3DSMax.
At the first I thought only reinstalling drivers helped, however I found faster workaround.
Launching max WITHOUT 3dx plugin loaded seems to allow max to be launched later WITH 3dx plugin.

So if you have crush on startup just:
1. Move those files from their directiories to desktop:
3dxstd.dlu from C:\...\3ds Max 2012\stdplugs
3DxStudio.ms from C:\...\3ds Max 2012\Scripts\Startup

2. Launch 3DSMax
3. Close 3DSMax :p
4. Move those files from desktop back to stdplugs and Scripts\Startup folders.
5. Launch 3DSMax and enjoy no crash time!! :)

To make this faster one could write some .bat file probably, but anyway its allot faster than reinstaling drivers + you dont lose your settings.

Hope this will help someone encountering same problem.
And of course I am looking forward to any driver updated fixing this problem :)