Spacenavigator for Gaming?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

adinb

Post by adinb »

Does anyone have any experience using the Spacenavigator for gaming (I'm thinking EVE, possibly dust off Descent, etc)?

I obviously don't have one *yet*, but I did notice Counterstrike as a listed profile in some driver screenshots. ;)

So, how's driver support and response time in games, especially of the space variety? Any tips or tricks?

Is the SpaceNavigator something that you'd recommend as a present for a gamer? (Or just us old VRML/GoogleEarth geeks?)
Feel the memory storm...
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi adinb

The SpaceNavigator was not developed as a gaming device. It could be used so, the only restriction is the software supplied with it. But as you can see in the following threadsome developers/users already have solutions for a multitude of other applications.

If you have some experience as a developer, you could work on your own application, or integrate support into an application you want, supposing that this application has an API, as our SDK is free of charge and you can download it from here.
agoenczi
adinb

Post by adinb »

Since I can assign the Navigator to joystick axes (and on OSX as an HID), I'll be happy. I was mainly trying to see if anyone had any feedback on lag, how well the Navigator holds up during an "enthusiastic" gaming session, etc.

I'm actually really pleased to see the driver support coming along, which is why I'm asking about *experiences* in actually using it for gaming.

My own personal "hacking" with the device will be to try and use it as a control surface in Garageband/Logic Express.
Feel the memory storm...
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »

adinb wrote:Since I can assign the Navigator to joystick axes (and on OSX as an HID), I'll be happy. I was mainly trying to see if anyone had any feedback on lag, how well the Navigator holds up during an "enthusiastic" gaming session, etc.

I'm actually really pleased to see the driver support coming along, which is why I'm asking about *experiences* in actually using it for gaming.

My own personal "hacking" with the device will be to try and use it as a control surface in Garageband/Logic Express.
playing FarCry , Counter-Strike , HL2 , RainbowSix , Q4, LFS , Fall Out ...

no problem, no lag , no freeze ....
chaseru

Post by chaseru »

RBC9 wrote:...playing FarCry , Counter-Strike , HL2 , RainbowSix , Q4, LFS , Fall Out ...

no problem, no lag , no freeze ....
Does the space device provide digital (on or off) control or more of a spectrum control? In other words, when moving forward is it all or nothing or can you control speed by the amount of pressure you use.

As an example, I used the SpaceOrb for a number of years, Quake 2 allowed me to go from crawl to run based on the amount of pressure I exerted on the Orb, while Quake 3 only allowed me to stop and walk. I believe it had to do with support for joysticks or other controllers that could provide variable input.

In any event, I decided to buy a Navigator instead of a used SpaceOrb for >$100 to replace my broken Orb. It's cheap enough to give it a try.
RBC9

Post by RBC9 »

some games have joystick support (CS, HL2 , LFS , Fall Out)
others not, so i use keyboard "Bind",as u say : "On/off" signal.

But with multi bind , i have some funny function

ie, in farcry , i bind my X axi to the UP/Down key for forward/backward move. And i add the "run" key on the end value of the axis , so i get a standart move and a running when i move more the Space.
cactusfire

Post by cactusfire »

How did you assign the Navigator to joystick axes? I would like to do that and I'm running Windows XP64. It doesn't show up as a game controller in the system menu.
dimaria

Re: Spacenavigator for Gaming?

Post by dimaria »

How did you assign the Navigator to joystick axes? I would like to do that and I'm running Windows XP64