Second Life ???

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiler

Re: 3Dconnexion 3D Mice Coming To Second Life

Post by Smiler »

ettore wrote:so, here's the big announcement:

3Dconnexion 3D Mice Coming To Second Life
:)
If only they could come to Half Life eh?
Regards, Jeff.
InterestedAnimator

Post by InterestedAnimator »

no if only they could come to more professional applications like Mudbox or Zbrush.

However much I enjoy games, it would only frustrate me more to have use of my 6dof device in halflife and not zbrush.
Smiler

Post by Smiler »

InterestedAnimator wrote:no if only they could come to more professional applications like Mudbox or Zbrush.

However much I enjoy games, it would only frustrate me more to have use of my 6dof device in halflife and not zbrush.
No, if only they could come to ALL applications, games and otherwise. What the hell is the point of releasing a 6DOF device for pocket-money prices so that joe public will buy it and then not support the very programs joe public has access to? You think someone who buys the PE edition of the SN has access to the likes of ZBrush, MAx or Inventor?

I was just having a dig that's all. the words fitted somehow.

FWIW, I use a Space Pilot with Solidworks and lately Inventor and I feel frustrated at how well it works in those two programs but not in Half-Life.
Regards, Jeff.
Bryan

Encourage Your Software Developers to Make Use of 3D Mice.

Post by Bryan »

We encourage you to contact the software developers and share with them your thoughts and desires for them to incorporate use of our 3D Mice with their applications. We provide a free API, Application Programmer's Interface, on our web site, to make it easy for them to incorporate input signals from our devices into their software applications when they code.

There is no way to force our device on an application. The software developers need to design their applications to take advantage of our device as an input source.

You can help to make it happen. Send the request to the developers. Tell them -- as a customer -- how very interested you are in 3D mice and how they are a great tool to be used in their application.

Let the applications designers know how you would use our 3Dmice in their application. Let them know how the improved user interface is valuable to you in speeding your work and releasing your creativity. Let them know the value added you would find with them including our device as part of their user interface design. Let them know how much this additional functionality would mean to you, the purchaser of their product.

We have a very active business development department who along with our technical team meets with third-party vendors to help them support our devices. Customer requests are a very important part of that procedure. At the same time, our devices are quite popular, so many vendors approach us -- we give them the same time and consideration, as well as access to our developers for questions and help. If you look at our development forums as well as the supported applications page on our website, you will see quite good results even for 3D applications for Mac at this time, and are hopeful that this list will only increase in the future.
Gary_M

Post by Gary_M »

Could someone please clarify. I got a spacenavigator yesterday, set it up as per the second life wiki and it worked with flycam straight off...excellent. However, i couldn't work out how to use it to move the avatar. I then tried to install the RBC9 driver but the device manager complained that I have the most up to date driver installed.

I read in this post that the spacenavigator works fine without the RBC9. Is this only in flycam mode or can someone tell me how to configure or switch it to operate my avatar?

Many thanks
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Gary,

Have you tried to push the left button of your SpaceNavigator? That should toggle the "Joystick Flycam" option which is also available under "View->Joystick Flycam" [Alt-Shift-F].
Robert Stadie
Gary_M

Post by Gary_M »

Thanks Robert. yes I tried the buttons but without any effect at all.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You need to use the 1.20 SL release candidate (or something even newer). Don't use the RCB9 driver. Just use the standard 3Dconnexion drivers.
Gary_M

Post by Gary_M »

I'm not at my own pc until later so i need to confirm but I did update my SL viewer on Saturday to what was the latest release at that time. I'll see what version it is later.

Thanks
jwick

Post by jwick »

Here's another post that gives a link to the SL RC.
ettore

Post by ettore »

ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
InterestedAnimator

Re: Encourage Your Software Developers to Make Use of 3D Mic

Post by InterestedAnimator »

Bryan wrote:We encourage you to contact the software developers and share with them your thoughts and desires for them to incorporate use of our 3D Mice with their applications. We provide a free API, Application Programmer's Interface, on our web site, to make it easy for them to incorporate input signals from our devices into their software applications when they code.

There is no way to force our device on an application. The software developers need to design their applications to take advantage of our device as an input source.

You can help to make it happen. Send the request to the developers. Tell them -- as a customer -- how very interested you are in 3D mice and how they are a great tool to be used in their application.

Let the applications designers know how you would use our 3Dmice in their application. Let them know how the improved user interface is valuable to you in speeding your work and releasing your creativity. Let them know the value added you would find with them including our device as part of their user interface design. Let them know how much this additional functionality would mean to you, the purchaser of their product.

We have a very active business development department who along with our technical team meets with third-party vendors to help them support our devices. Customer requests are a very important part of that procedure. At the same time, our devices are quite popular, so many vendors approach us -- we give them the same time and consideration, as well as access to our developers for questions and help. If you look at our development forums as well as the supported applications page on our website, you will see quite good results even for 3D applications for Mac at this time, and are hopeful that this list will only increase in the future.
it doesn't work well that way, in theory yes but ill point to a thread I made over a year ago

viewtopic.php?t=207&highlight=

at first I was waiting for zbrush support before I bought a spacepilot, it seemed that more application support was in the CAD department, now its going to games before 3D modeling and painting applications.

Now I'm just waiting for either a 3dconnexion, or a competitor's 6dof device to support Zbrush mudbox or other such applications.

I know you will say its up to the software developers, which means it may never happen and in my mind, the device will always only half work.
Gary_M

Post by Gary_M »

ettore wrote:Download page for the 1.20 release candidate:
http://secondlife.com/community/downloads-optional.php

Release notes:
http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/04/09/u ... available/
Many thanks for that. I installed it last night and and what a revolution. The Space Navigator completely changes the Second Life experience in the new viewer.

Thanks again
Jingoro

Issues in SL 1.20 RC 3

Post by Jingoro »

I got my SpaceNavigator PE yesterday, hooked it up, and it was working in Second Life (and Google Earth) right away. It was a bit sensitive... navigating inside buildings and near people (as mentioned by someone before), but I did find this post about setting the nonlinear factor... I've bumped mine up to 5.1 (1.7 x 3), and it's made a noticeable difference in Google Earth, can't wait to try it in SL tonight.

However, late last night, flycam mode stopped working. I'd hit the left button to enter flycam mode, and all motion on the screen would stop. Hitting the flycam button again did nothing. Going to the SL menus with the mouse and turning off flycam caused the point of view to snap well into the air above my AV, looking straight down. Disconnecting/reconnecting the device made no difference.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone with a solution? I can no longer use my SpaceNavigator to control the flycam in SL.[/url]
joltdude

Secondlife Support and getting other vendors on the ball

Post by joltdude »

Secondlife support for the Spacenav is in the RC candidates of the viewer..

My only problem is it tends to ignore any change of user settings from the Spacenav control panel and handle things internally..

Having a bit of a time trying to figure out how to stop tilting the camera angle when i move forward.. would like to make it less sensitive to tilt so i can actually use it to move forward and backward.. Anyone else running into this issue with it? Also I dont think SL's module lets you calibrate the Spacenav which might help this issue..

As to a post of someone saying.. Well the developers have to support it in the app you want.... Well iv gotten a rather nasty reply by another virtual worlds owner. saying. We have no intention of ever supporting the Spacenav, not we have no plans right now but its a good suggestion, but a flat out rejection... There (Ironically it was There Inc).. has to be some better communication between the device manufacturer and software vendors encouraging its use and value..

Untill then id really like to see something like RBC9's app actually integrated into the spacenavs own control panel... I hate to joke but my Griffin Powermate is more application friendly (can be mapped to keyboard).. than this out-of-the-box...