Solidworks - Unable to move components in "Z" axis

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowtie Bob

Solidworks - Unable to move components in "Z" axis

Post by Bowtie Bob »

When using the "Move Selected Objects" option in an assembly, you used to be able to move the parts in the "Z" axis relative to the screen. Is there an option to turn this back on? I know its "confusing" to a lot of people, but I am used to it and it really speeds up locating parts.
Barbara

Re: Solidworks - Unable to move components in "Z" axis

Post by Barbara »

Hi Bowtie Bob -

It sounds like the Z axis may be turned off in your SolidWorks Assembly profile. There are several places you can enable /disable axis directions.

Check the pop-up menu in SolidWorks. On a Space Navigator the left button opens the pop-up menu - 'Pan/Zoom' and 'Rotate' should both be checked. It is also possible to enable/disable the Z axis in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel - App Configuration and Advanced Settings tabs. The 'Dominant' option on the App Configuration tab limits navigation to a single direction - that should be un-checked.

If the option preventing Z axis movement is not apparent , one way to restore all of your axis directions is to return to SolidWorks defaults. With SolidWorks open and having the device focus, open the 3Dconnexion Control Panel and choose Options- Restore all Defaults. A dialog box will say that restoring defaults will remove all changes you have made to the configuration - confirm to restore defaults and that should return all axis directions.

----------
Barbara
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

The Z axis is not simply disabled. I am able to use all functions in the assembly (pan, rotate, zoom), I simply can't move individual components perpendicular to the screen, and I don't see any options to turn it on or off.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Open the popup menu in Solidworks.
It can be opened with the Menu/Panel Button (SpaceNavigator family: left button) on your 3D Mouse.

Next go to Advanced.
Top option is Move Selected Object
Click the Option to turn on or off
This will enable or disable the independent movement of sub-parts within an Assembly.
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

The "Move Selected Objects" option is turned on, I can rotate individual components and move them left, right, up, and down relative to the screen. What I CAN'T do is move only one component of an assembly toward or away from the screen in order to shift its position within the assembly.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Bob -

It looks like you took part in an earlier discussion of this here
that included a registry edit to enable moving a part along the Z axis.
----------------
Barbara
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

Thank you, I had forgotten it was a registry edit.