Maya 2013 Component Selection Bug

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Valen Wagner

Maya 2013 Component Selection Bug

Post by Valen Wagner »

I have sent a support request for this issue. Hopefully it can be fixed soon. Maya is unuseable in this state.

-Open Maya 2013
-Create several objects "sphere" primatives for example.
-Access the vertex level (for example) of the first object you created.
-Try to access the vertex, or other components, level of the other objects. You can't.
-Disable the 3DConnexion plugin, and it will work.

I made a video showing the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aA1Rh0e3k

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5
UtaSH

Re: Maya 2013 Component Selection Bug

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Valen,

thanks for your report. I tried to reproduce it and the first time I could, but the second time everything was working fine. I will continue to investigate this.
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

Another problem - when I close the 3DConnexion driver within Maya, as soon as I try to navigate the viewport with the traditional mouse/keyboard methods I get a Fatal Error and Maya terminates.
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
karlmarshall

Post by karlmarshall »

Same issue, Having with the component selection type, means i have to keep changing the selection mode which is a right pain.
karlmarshall

Post by karlmarshall »

seemed to have stop doing it now, very strange.
IronRaptor

Post by IronRaptor »

I wish to also report that I've been getting these issues as well. I even tried re-installing an older version of Maya to test if it was Maya or if it was 3Dconnexion's drivers. Turns out it's the drivers. Causes crashes in Maya when you unload it and you need to restart the program, as well as the component selection bug as the OP mentioned. So now I'm regulated to using non SpaceNavigator methods of modelling. It sucks.

I miss my desk nip.
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

It has been almost two months now. Is there any update from 3Dconnexion about this bug? I would love to be able to use my SpacePilot Pro in Maya again, but this bug and the bug in with Expression Editor prevent me from using it.
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
nigelki77s

Post by nigelki77s »

my problem is exactly the same as this.
odd though, at first I had no trouble at all but after a few hours the bug kicked in and it hasn't gone away.
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

Can we please have an update? Your supported software page shows Autodesk Maya first, in the upper left corner, but I haven't been able to use it in Maya for months now. Please fix and let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

This above 'component selection' bug and this 'expresison editor' bug...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4875

...make Maya unuseable. And since it's been so long without a fix, Maya should be removed from the list of supported procucts until you've resolved the issues, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Valen
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
TvdKooij

Post by TvdKooij »

Yes, it is definitely a constant bug but.....
If you just move the view a little to the left or to the right with your spacenavigator then you can select the components on the later created objects.
It would be nice if this problem can be solved but is a workaround for now for me.
I have no experience with the bug in the expression editor. I'm just starting with Maya and just bought the SpaceNavigator today.
Despite the bug in the driver I'm very pleased with the device. It works great.
TvdKooij

Post by TvdKooij »

I must correct my previous posting. I'm sorry. I was a bit too exited about my findings. After playing a bit more with it I found out that it's partially true what I said but ik only works when then there are no overlapping objects in the scene. It's like the SpaceNavigator loses the focus on the chosen object. The blue circle is no longer in the centre of the object you want to manipulate. It's somewhere in an empty space. I guess losing focus on the object is where the problem is. But then again, what do I know. Still I thought is was worthwile mentioning. I hope that there will be a solution in the near future because in a crowded scene it's unworkable.
TvdKooij

Post by TvdKooij »

3d post on this topic.
I thought it was absurd that this wonderful piece of hardware was useless to me in just one day after I bought it.
So after toying around a bit I kept thinking that the loss of focus on the object was the key to this problem.
The solution is so simple. In Maya just click the left button of the device and in the menu choose 'Rotation Center' and instead of selecting 'Auto' choose 'Use selected item'.
This way the focus keeps on the object and you can select all of the components.
In my view: Problem solved!

If anyone thinks otherwise please leave a reply.
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

Thank you, TvdKooij, for posting your workaround solution.

3DConnexion - can someone please respond to this issue? Turning off the "Auto" option for Rotation Center has been shown to "fix" this problem. But I prefer to work with "Auto" and "Use Selected Item" both enabled.

And this expression editor bug:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4875

...needs to be fixed before I can use the driver again. Its too high of risk otherwise.

PLEASE UPDATE! LET US KNOW IF WE CAN BE OF ASSISTANCE. I'M MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP!

Thanks,
Valen
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

It has been one month since my last post. I have also sent emails to tech support. I am not getting any responses. Can someone please update?
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Valen Wagner,

The issue you reported is being tracked with number 6055. We have made an improvement to the Maya plug-in that should help in the scenario you reported.

The update will be available in 3DxSoftware v. 3.16.1 which is to be released soon. 3DxSoftware v. 3.16 adds support for Windows 8 and will be made available before Windows 8 is issued to customers.