Language Issue with NX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

spainman

Language Issue with NX

Post by spainman »

I'm using NX8 along with a SpacePilot and the latest 3dx driver package.
OS is Win7 x64. UI language in Windows is English with locale set to German (in order to have correct time/date/currency/number formatting etc.). NX8 is also an english version.

3DxWare and the the 3dxNX plugin for NX default to German language when installed. What I want is an english user interface language.

I managed to force english in the 3dx control panel by adding HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\CurrentLocale=1033 to the registry.

Adding "Currentlocale=1033" to the corresponding "3DxNX" key has no effect.
Is there a similar way available to force the NX plugin into using english?
Any help would be appreciated.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello spainman -

The 3Dconnexion software uses the language selected in Regional and Language Options.The selection on the Regional Options tab should be English and also on Languages under Details - Default Input language.

If you stop the driver and reset the Regional Options language to English then re-start the drive, you should see the 3Dconnexion software display in English.

I just tried with English language settings - stopping the driver and setting the Regional Options language to German. When I restarted the driver the 3Dconnexion software displayed in German - so you should be able to switch to English in the same way and keep your location set to Germany.
---------
Barbara
spainman

Post by spainman »

Thanks for the very fast reply!

Could you please clarify what setting you did exactly change in the "Region and Language" options?

None of the settings under "Format" or "Location" are settings that I can change without affecting the whole system. I'm actually in Germany and need them the way they are.

Under "Keyboard and Languages" I have selected English for the setting "display language" and all other software I'm using allows to configure the language or choose to install a non-localized english version.

Is there a way to force the locale for the 3dxNX plugin using the registry as with the 3dxWare?

Thank's for your help!
spainman

Post by spainman »

Never mind. I found myself the solution / actual problem.

The Problem:
3dx software seems to misuse the windows user locale setting in order to determine the ui language. The input language setting would be much more reasonable. Check the msdn - user locale is just for formatting numbers, dates and similar stuff. It is NOT a language setting. Still it seems the only way to alter the language in 3dxware. Changing the input language, location or any other setting that would make sense doesn't help (even tried things that don't make sense like the keyboard "language"). You should have your developers go over this for further releases. I'm a professional windows developer myself for over a decade so this is not a guesswork but a founded opinion that there is something "to improve" ;-)

The Solution:
Actually forcing CurrentLocale=1033 through the previously mentioned registry key is all that is needed. The configurations saved before adding the regkey still contained german command descriptions like "virtuelles numpad" instead of "virtual numpad". That was the problem. After deleting all saved configurations and restarting NX everything shows up in english.
spainman

Post by spainman »

Never mind. I found myself the solution / actual problem.

The Problem:
3dx software seems to misuse the windows user locale setting in order to determine the ui language. The input language setting would be much more reasonable. Check the msdn - user locale is just for formatting numbers, dates and similar stuff. It is NOT a language setting. Still it seems the only way to alter the language in 3dxware. Changing the input language, location or any other setting that would make sense doesn't help (even tried things that don't make sense like the keyboard "language"). You should have your developers go over this for further releases. I'm a professional windows developer myself for over a decade so this is not a guesswork but a founded opinion that there is something "to improve" ;-)

The Solution:
Actually forcing CurrentLocale=1033 through the previously mentioned registry key is all that is needed. The configurations saved before adding the regkey still contained german command descriptions like "virtuelles numpad" instead of "virtual numpad". That was the problem. After deleting all saved configurations and restarting NX everything shows up in english.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi spainman -

You're right - the CurrentLocale=1033 should be all that is needed. The other method we use is to make sure 'English - US' is the selected choice for all 3 tabs in Windows Regional and Language Options before starting the 3Dxsoftware installation. I was about to suggest that with a clean install but it is good that you already have it working correctly.

----------
Barbara