Space mouse classic (Logitch Magellan)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

revzin2000

Space mouse classic (Logitch Magellan)

Post by revzin2000 »

a friend of mine gave the magellan a day ago and it came with a wierd COM port male-male connector with AC adaper connected to it. i have no female COM on my pc so i wonder how can i (and if i need this connector) connect it to my PC, because i connected it without this connector and the 3DxWare software says that "No 3D controller could be detected".
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi revzin2000,

That connector was probably used on a Unix workstation to change the gender and add DC power when the workstation didn't provide enough power to operate the device on the serial port. You can toss it.

The device is probably not recognized because serial devices are no longer supported by the current 3DxWare Windows driver. Go to the 3Dconnexion support page and download the driver for legacy devices.

Good luck.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi revzin2000,

That connector was probably used on a Unix workstation to change the gender and add DC power when the workstation didn't provide enough power to operate the device on the serial port. You can toss it.

The device is probably not recognized because serial devices are no longer supported by the current 3DxWare Windows driver. Go to the 3Dconnexion support page and download the driver for legacy devices.

Good luck.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
revzin2000

i could find older drivers there

Post by revzin2000 »

did you mean the "legacy software" (if so then wich one do i need for solidworks 2007 and photoshop CS2) or it's somwhere else ?
jwick

Post by jwick »

3DxSoftware 2.8.2

http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/4a1a ... 41&os_id=3

Your configuration is unsupported. Our new AutoCAD 2007 driver only works with USB devices. You can try this old software package and see how it works.

Please let us know, so people with legacy devices (your device is probably > 10 years old) will know if they are worth trying to get working.

You might want to consider picking up one of our $59 devices. They are fully supported.

Jim
revzin2000

I Solved it !!!

Post by revzin2000 »

I found out that in newer Pc's you can define the type of the COM port at the bios. The one thst should be used is EPP and not SPP.

hope it helps
:D