Can SpaceNavigator replace a mouse?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

guizai

Can SpaceNavigator replace a mouse?

Post by guizai »

I see that the SpaceNavigator is 6 way moveable. Can it replace a mouse in navigating Windows? Does it work with Winamp? Can all the directions be set to a specific command? I wuold like to purchase this for an in car computer project sort of like BMW's iDrive. It looks like the perfect replacement.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi guizai. 3Dconnexion devices are not meant to replace the normal mouse when used for point-and-click operation. Our devices are all about 3D (and in some cases. 2D) navigation.
Point-and-click is a user interface feature designed for the normal mouse. Smooth and continuous navigation around or in a 3D world, part, assembly or 2D drawing is best done with a device from 3Dconnexion. The two type of device complement each other.
3Dconnxion does encourage the novel use of its devices. All developers can register and download our SDK for free. We provide support for all operating systems (not all devices are available on all operating systems).
Nuno Gomes
inspiringfallacy

Post by inspiringfallacy »

i explain exactly how to do this on my site:

http://blog.ifallacy.com
Gustav

Post by Gustav »

The link to that blog is broken.

So how can I achieve this? I wish to use the PE device as a general purpose pointing device.
jwick

Post by jwick »

A group on mp3car.com had a project going on for in-car use of a SpaceNavigator. I think this was back in December 06 / January 07.
Gustav

Post by Gustav »

Fine.
However, my need is more basic: A pointing device for Windows XP.