Can't select objects after rotating in view

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

RobH

Can't select objects after rotating in view

Post by RobH »

When I zoom, pan, rotate or do anything using my SpacePilot with the newest drivers in MaxDesign x64 2012 I frequently can't select an object. I have to drag across a large part of the scene, deselect and then attempt to select a single object again. Now it will work. While this isn't a deal-breaker it just makes things more difficult than they need to be.

If I zoom, pan, etc., using Max's controls the issue does not occur. It's definately related to the SpacePilot drivers.

Anyone else having this issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and am still having the same problem.
3ds Max 2025, GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Spacemouse Pro Wireless, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi RobH,

did you try if it makes a difference if you calibrate you device? (See the 3Dconnexion properties for the "Calibrate" button.)
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hi Uta,

Thanks for your response. I did 'Calibrate' a few weeks ago. I just did it again right now. I also opened the "Demo" cube to see if it was drifting any without touching the device and it was not.

So, I've opened Max and it appears to be OK but the issue "is" intermittent. Sometimes it's really bad and others it's not. Right now it's OK.

Since you didn't have any other suggestions besides "Calibrate" I'll come back to this thread the next time it starts to malfunction and let you know. Maybe there will be another thing I can try then.

Thanks...
3ds Max 2025, GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Spacemouse Pro Wireless, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor
RobH

Post by RobH »

No, calibrating does not help. What else can you think of that might be causing this problem. It didn't happen with Max 2011.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Did you check if you have the latest driver for your graphic card?

Do you see a difference in the behavior if you are in "Object Mode", "Camera Mode" or "Target Camera Mode"?
RobH

Post by RobH »

No, changing modes has no affect on the issue.
Susana82

Post by Susana82 »

I have the same problem, and all the pieces of advice given just won't help... I'll keep watching the thread, if you find the solution by yourself, be so kind to share it, please!
RobH

Post by RobH »

I am not happy about the issue but I am so glad I'm not the only one having this issue. If I solve it I'll let you know ASAP.
digitalx3d

Post by digitalx3d »

Ya,
I've got this exact same problem. Using Max2012 64bit. Windows 7. I'm also using older versions of both video and SpacePilot drivers because there are too many issues with the newer drivers.

If I rotate, zoom, or pan in the viewport I can no longer select an object until I press my middle mouse button to pan with the mouse. Then I can select objects again.

It IS really annoying. Easy enough to work around, but this sort of thing just shouldn't happen.
John Pruden
www.digitalxmodels.com
3D Model Marketplace
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hi John,

Glad you posted. I like your workaround better than mine. I've been just dragging over a large part of the viewport (which selects everything in its path) and then clicking away to deselect. Then I can select what I need to.

Your middle mouse with a slight movement to restore select-ability is faster. I'm not sure this issue is getting any attention though. I did have someone at tech support ask a few questions and "apologize for the inconvenience it was causing me" but that interest has disappeared. That seems to be the stock answer I get from most companies these days when they know they have no intention to solve my problem but don't want to say so.

I'm afraid we are on our own.
CSchumann

Post by CSchumann »

Thanks for the mmb - hint :-)
danielchristie

Post by danielchristie »

I hope there is a solid solution to this problem.

Regards,
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi all,

We recently updated our add-in for Max to support version 2013.

Looking at the change log, it does not appear that we have addressed this issue but could you please let us know what version of 3DxSoftware you have installed? Latest is version 3.15.3.
Nuno Gomes
Wiserebel

Re: Can't select objects after rotating in view

Post by Wiserebel »

Hi,

Yes this is still an issue. Intermittently when panning/rotating or moving around any object I'm unable to select it until I press the middle mouse button.

I'm currently using 3ds Max 2012, 3DxSoftware :3.15.6
larsschoonewelle

Re: Can't select objects after rotating in view

Post by larsschoonewelle »

Hello, I am deeply sorry that you had to wait so long for a possible sollution.
Well, I came across this forum looking for a sollution myself! I can say that i found one.
When selecting an object and you accidently press spacebar, it goes into ''object lock''.
This makes it impossible for you to select other objects. This is quite a helpfull option, if you have to edit an object.
You can also disable or enable this tool, with a lock icon at the bottom of the screen, right under screen 4.

http://s7.postimage.org/wfxlmdr57/Help.jpg

I hope this helped.