WF2 and 64 bit machine - driver not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

user

Post by user »

Hello,

I am having exactly the same problem as arlo_blair...

Have tried to reinstall the driver and about everything else i could think of.

The buttons work in Pro/E but knot the navigation knob.

In the pictureviewer the knob works though...

What to do?
arlo_blair

Post by arlo_blair »

Dear agoenczi,

I have tried everyting now.

You last advice sounds like you are 'clutching at straws' and short on answers (no offence). Probably not surprising as 64 bit has not been around for long.

I will have to spend yet more time now converting this back to the previous driver, which did work on screen but i did not get the 3dx pull down menu and thus the shortcut buttons are not working.

All very frustrating as i love the device and the ease of stress on my mouse hand that it gives me, i have spent hours of down time now trying to sort this out.

Regards

Arlo
agoenczi
User
User

WF 2.0 on a 64 bit machine

Post by agoenczi »

Hi arlo_blair

I tried to reproduce the problem you have. In some cases the driver doesn't respond immediately, but activating the window and/or holding the mouse cursor over the active window "makes" the navigation work.

I couldn't reproduce such a total fallout as you described.

I would like to know how I could reproduce this issue? Could you write me how should I try to reproduce?
agoenczi
arlo_blair

Post by arlo_blair »

Failure 1. Use a 64 bit machine, windows XP pro, driver 3.1.8. This should mean that you have the pull down menu in WF2, short cut buttons ..... but no manipulation on screen.

Failure 2. Use a 64 bit machine, windows XP pro, driver 3.0.9. This should mean that you can manipulate the model on screen .... but no pull down menu and no active short cut buttons.

I have had to uninstall and reinstall the 3.0.9 driver, so i can't try your suggestion; although i did try to activate the screen as per your suggestion - nothing.

Regards

Arlo
agoenczi
User
User

WF 2.0 64 bit

Post by agoenczi »

Hi arlo_blair

Please check if your device is running with the delivered demos: Start -> All programs -> 3dconnexion -> 3dconnexion 3dxWare -> Demos -> Cube3D Demo.

Could you specify which WF 2.0 you have (for example M160, or a similar code)?

Generate a log file and send the generated file for further analyse.
agoenczi
user

Post by user »

Hello,

I am running WF2 M160.

The device is working with the cube3d demo.

From log file:
8:0:50.624: s80trans:UdTransSendEvent: Error: Buffer full. Ignoring new event type=2. Resignaling last event.

Shall i send my entire log file to you?
agoenczi
User
User

WF 2.0 64 bit

Post by agoenczi »

Hello user

Please send the whole log file. I don't believe that a single line could be interpreted correctly: one have to see the previous events too.
agoenczi
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi arlo-blair

Referring to your post I could advise you for the case described as "Failure 2" to edit the file protk.dat. You will find this file under:

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxProENGINEER64\x86e_win64.

You have to adapt the path for the file 3DxProE.dll in this file which should be available under:

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxProENGINEER64\x86e_win64\obj

After adapting the path you should copy this file under the installation path of Pro/E under the "Text" folder. After copying here this file Pro/E should load the add-in.
agoenczi
arlo_blair

Post by arlo_blair »

Hi agoenczi,

I have been really busy so have only now had a chance to try your latest suggestion ....... it did not work!

I am glad to see that i am not the only person who is having this problem.

The demo works (3dcube).

Regards

Arlo
agoenczi
User
User

WF 2.0

Post by agoenczi »

Hi arlo_blair

We know the issue on a 64 bit machine with WF 2.0. Your device will have the complete functionality with WF 3.0 (64 bit).

If you can't afford to use the add-in, remove it, the navigation will work properly. Or upgrade to WF 3.0...
Last edited by agoenczi on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
agoenczi
jwick

Post by jwick »

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=2089#2089
arlo_blair

Post by arlo_blair »

Jwik & Ageonczi,

Thanks for the response and confirmastion that PTC are too blame! Surprise surprise.

I say this as the company i am currently contracting for have discovered that are new (soon to be rolled out) PDM system ALSO will not work with WF2 64-bit!!!

So they are finally going to be brave and up grade to WF3 (medical company polotics).

Thanks once again.

Regards

Arlo
jwick

Post by jwick »

Arlo,

I think you are being too harsh on PTC. This was all an issue of just too-close timing. As far as I know, when the 64-bit machines were being introduced, WF2 was sealed and stable. It wouldn't have made any sense to introduce extra instability into the WF2 code to try to rush in full 64-bit support at the last minute. It is better to have a stable WF2 and then a stable WF3. It takes quite a while to completely QA a product as large as ProE.

JMHO
arlo_blair

Post by arlo_blair »

Jwik,

Point taken, it is once again a conflict between hardware vs software.

I have used PTC products for 15 years now and SW products for 3 years; it's worth mentioning that none of my previous grips with WF2 and 64 bit (SpaceExplorer & PDM compatability) can be made with 2006 & 2007 releases of SW products. They seemed to have found the time!

Regards

Arlo