3D Studio Max 9 (64bits)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jesusrg

3D Studio Max 9 (64bits)

Post by jesusrg »

Hello, my name is Jesus and i work in www.virtualcompany.es , where we are dedicated to architectonic visualization, we use 3D studio max 9 64bits and vray.
I have acquired spacepilot to prove it a time in my home and if it covers my views to increase the productivity we will buy one for each workstation (15 approx).
At the moment I have implemented quite fast workflow that generates a good productivity with no need of 3D controller, and now
I decided to prove if I can increase that productivity using spacepilot.
The first taking of contact with spacepilot caused me good sensation, is impressive the smoothness and precision that it has to travell in 3D studio, nevertheless is not the product that i hoped, to work 100% with spacepilot without the keyboard to increase productivity.
At hardware level I see a single problem with the location of one key, rest of problems I see are at driver level or implementation in max 9, which i detail next to see if it is possible to be solved in future updates of driver so i can be able to have spacepilot in all the workstations as I am wishing.

SpacePilot problems

Hardware:
When pressing the "6" key sometimes is pressed without wanting the "sensitivity" key by its proximity, a solution can be to interchange of position of the sensitivity key by the Dom key, so in the case of press Dom key causes less problems than to press the sensitivity key.

Driver:
When i plug spacepilot in another USB port is needed to reinstall or to repair the drivers.

3D max:

In isometric views when doing pan/zoom the view changes to "3DXStudioUser" and then it takes some time to change to "User" when stop panning/zooming, in that time certain commands cannot be made which slowdown the workflow. The solution is that not change to "3DXStudioUser" and maintains in Top, Front or the isometric view that is active.

Spacepilot buttons T, L, R, and F changes the view using the active one, ej if i press spacepilot T key moves the camera towards top view if I am in camera view, the same if I am in perspective view, the solution is that changes to the isometric view T,L,R,F. In order to solve to that i have to redefine the keys using suitable views but not "(3Dx)".

when change isometric views from spacepilot or when use the pan/zoom in isometric view nothing can be drawn unless i am in top view, this is a very serious problem since our workflow requires that objects can be created (splines most of the time) from any isometric view with coordinate system in that view, the problem is equal if I use key views "(3Dx)" or not "(3Dx)" (please solve this frist :) ).

I have created 2 configurations of spacepilot keyboard, one for transformations and visualization, another one for creation and modification, to accede to second configuration I have to press “config” then the command I want and then again “config" to return to the first configuration, i want that when pressing the command in the second configuration returns automatically to the first configuration.

I hope you can give me solutions for these problems and the time that will take to solve that in drivers.
I will update this thread with problems that are finding.
Thanks and Sorry for my bad english, im from spain.

Greeting.
Jesus.
agoenczi
User
User

3D Studio Max 9 (64bits)

Post by agoenczi »

Hi jesusrg

Welcome.

Feed-back is always very valuable for us.
Hardware:
When pressing the "6" key sometimes is pressed without wanting the "sensitivity" key by its proximity, a solution can be to interchange of position of the sensitivity key by the Dom key, so in the case of press Dom key causes less problems than to press the sensitivity key.
It is an issue that will be forwarded to our hardware development team to be considered.
Driver:
When i plug spacepilot in another USB port is needed to reinstall or to repair the drivers.
This seems to be a Windows-related issue. Some devices aren't recognized when you unplug and replug the device. We recommend to stop the driver before unplugging the device.

3D max:
In isometric views when doing pan/zoom the view changes to "3DXStudioUser" and then it takes some time to change to "User" when stop panning/zooming, in that time certain commands cannot be made which slowdown the workflow. The solution is that not change to "3DXStudioUser" and maintains in Top, Front or the isometric view that is active.
For a workaround see the following post

Sorry, for the other problems I can't send you an answer, because I don't understand what do you wish. Please send me a private message, if you want in your native language - Spanish, I will try to answer to your questions as soon as possible.
agoenczi
User
User

3D Studio Max 9 (64bits)

Post by agoenczi »

Hi jesusrg
Spacepilot buttons T, L, R, and F changes the view using the active one, ej if i press spacepilot T key moves the camera towards top view if I am in camera view, the same if I am in perspective view, the solution is that changes to the isometric view T,L,R,F. In order to solve to that i have to redefine the keys using suitable views but not "(3Dx)".
You can freely remap the keys in order to increase productivity, or to better meet your requirements.
I have created 2 configurations of spacepilot keyboard, one for transformations and visualization, another one for creation and modification, to accede to second configuration I have to press “config” then the command I want and then again “config" to return to the first configuration, i want that when pressing the command in the second configuration returns automatically to the first configuration.
This functionality has nothing to do with 3DStudio Max, I will forward your request, at the time we have no solution to realise this.
when change isometric views from spacepilot or when use the pan/zoom in isometric view nothing can be drawn unless i am in top view, this is a very serious problem since our workflow requires that objects can be created (splines most of the time) from any isometric view with coordinate system in that view, the problem is equal if I use key views "(3Dx)" or not "(3Dx)" (please solve this frist Smile ).
I don't understand what you mean. I tried to draw in all the views: the 3 predefined (Top, Left, Front) and in the perspective I could draw any shape.

After navigating, a predefined view changes in "User" - in this view I couldn't draw. But pressing the corresponding button (T for Top, F for Front and so on) changes the view in a predefined view and you can draw again.
jesusrg

Post by jesusrg »

agoenczi thanks for the answers.
I tried the workaround of the post you said without luck cause i dont want to move objects, just to navigate with spacepilot.
For the "cant draw on others views but top" problem, i understand your workaround but its not a solution for me because i want to pan/zoom while i draw splines for example to follow the CADs splines of a house and draw over it.
I will try to make a video with my workflow without spacepilot and then the problems in that workflow using spacepilot.
Thanks.
Greetings.
Jesus.