space navigator not recognised

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

beffuddled

space navigator not recognised

Post by beffuddled »

Hi,
I have a space navigator which I want to use on my laptop. I'm running windows 7 64bit home edition and I wish to use it for google sketchup 8. I already have sketchup8 installed on my computer. I have followed the installation instructions for the space navigator but am unable to get it to work. I can get the blue light to come on sometimes but it shows as an unknown device, then the light goes out. When I have it working I am unable to find install plug-ins at all. I have tried to uninstall it and reinstall using only the disc, also using only the downloaded update and both together. Nothing seems to work......
PLEASE HELP
Barbara

SpaceNavigator not recognised

Post by Barbara »

Hello -

The software on the CD would be an older version and likely does not have the SketchUp 8 extension. Remove the older version, then save the current version to your laptop and run it with SketchUp closed so that the SketchUp extension can be installed.

Is the SpaceNavigator plugged directly into a USB port on the laptop?

If the driver does not automatically start at Windows startup, you can try plugging it into the USB port again and starting it manually [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver]

The blue light can be turned on and off in the software. The installed demos will let you know if the SpaceNavigator is working outside of SketchUp. [Start| All Programs| 3Dconnexion| Demos]

-------------
Barbara
waxagass

Post by waxagass »

I am having the same problem.

It appears to be a device issue, not a software issue. With software installed, the device comes up as "device not recognized" or "unable to install drivers" upon plugging it into the computer (I have tried both the current and beta drivers on both my laptop and workstation - both Windows 7 x64).

If I have it plugged in before powering the computer on, the light will remain on. If I plug it in while the computer on, nine times out of ten it will not light up.

Under 3DConnexion Properties, "Your 3d Mouse:" states "No Device."

I've tried every USB port on my laptop and workstation, including through the USB hub on my monitor.

Is there any possibility of this being something other than a hardware issue?
maxx.schob

Post by maxx.schob »

Same for me !

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.
I tried to reinstall the driver for my SPACE NAVIGATOR from your website several times but i cannot get it to work properly.

I also tried to unplug the usb cable and in 4 out of 5 times i get the following error message : "device not recognized".

I hope we can fix this problem.

Thank you !
maxx.schob

Post by maxx.schob »

Same for me !

I tried to reinstall the driver for my SPACE NAVIGATOR from your website several times but i cannot get it to work properly.

I also tried to unplug the usb cable and in 4 out of 5 times i get the following error message : "device not recognized".

Thank you !
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

waxagass wrote:I am having the same problem.

It appears to be a device issue, not a software issue. With software installed, the device comes up as "device not recognized" or "unable to install drivers" upon plugging it into the computer (I have tried both the current and beta drivers on both my laptop and workstation - both Windows 7 x64).

If I have it plugged in before powering the computer on, the light will remain on. If I plug it in while the computer on, nine times out of ten it will not light up.

Under 3DConnexion Properties, "Your 3d Mouse:" states "No Device."

I've tried every USB port on my laptop and workstation, including through the USB hub on my monitor.

Is there any possibility of this being something other than a hardware issue?
Hi waxagass,

is the mouse recognized if you unplug and replug it? Could you please send me the PID in a PM?

Thanks,
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

maxx.schob wrote:Same for me !

Thank you !
Hi maxx.schob,

same here ;): can you please send me your PID in a PM?

Thanks,
Kultigin

Post by Kultigin »

My space navigator has been working fine until today. Blue light doesn't turn on when I try to start the driver. I tried different usb ports and different computers, no luck.

It was working on Vista, XP and finally Win 7 smoothly. It suddenly stopped working on each systems. I tried a clean install on Win 7, nothing happened. When I start the driver, it doesn't say anything. When I click to "stop driver", it says "driver not running."

Can you give me an advise?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Kultigin -

When a SpaceNavigator is working then stops unexpectedly, you can usually restart it this way :

Unplug the SpaceNavigator
Hold button #1 and button #2 down on the SpaceNavigator
While holding the buttons, plug in the device
wait about 15 seconds release the 2 buttons
then start the driver.
[Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver]

If this does not work initially, try rebooting the system then do the 2–button restart again – sometimes the second try will reset the device.

When this happens it means that the driver for some reason has not completed its shutdown correctly.The device also will not be recognized by other PCs until the problem is cleared by restarting in this way.

-----------------------
Barbara
Kultigin

Post by Kultigin »

Hello Barbara,

Thanks for the tip :D

It worked.
tjdeluna

Post by tjdeluna »

Hi,

I am having the same issue as maxx.schob & waxagass.
Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit. I have tried reinstalling software, restarting system, etc... My SpaceNavigator is not recognized by the system in any USB port.
In my Device Manager, it shows as an "Unknown Device" under the USB category and shows the status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I have connected the SpaceNavigator to a Macintosh which installed and works perfectly (figures!), so it is not a hardware issue.

Any help appreciated, very disappointing so far...

tj
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi tjdeluna,

can you please post some information on your hardware? What machine, processor, ...?

And could you please send me the PID of your device in a PM? Thanks.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

Barbara wrote:
When a SpaceNavigator is working then stops unexpectedly, you can usually restart it this way :

Unplug the SpaceNavigator
Hold button #1 and button #2 down on the SpaceNavigator
While holding the buttons, plug in the device
wait about 15 seconds release the 2 buttons
then start the driver.
[Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver]

If this does not work initially, try rebooting the system then do the 2–button restart again – sometimes the second try will reset the device.
this didn't reset my Space Pilot Pro. LCD and profile change are working, device is properly recognised in Device Manager, but the cap and the buttons don't work. Are there any other methods to reset a device?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Phil,

the reset described by Barbara is helpful if the 3D mouse is not recognized by the operating system. Which is not the case with your device. You mentioned that device manager shows the SpacePilot properly.

Does the driver start?

Is the device plugged directly into the machine or are you using an extension or a USB hub?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

the driver is running, and the device is directly plugged to the machine. I pressed the Menu and Fit buttons before plugging in several times, with reboots, on several machines running W7 64- or 32-bit. I did clean installs and tried both the official and beta driver.

It looks like the device cannot be reset or initialized anymore. Maybe it is of interest to mention that when the device stopped working for the first time, the two-button method was successful. But after a few days it stopped working again, and all attempts to cure failed.

Luckily I have my Space Pilot as a replacement, but it would be much better to have my SPP working again. Sad to see such a good and useful device standing around.

In case technical support needs the PID, where do I find it?