Solidworks 2007 Center of rotation

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

drcaveman

Post by drcaveman »

New to Solidworks 2007 is the automatic realignment of the center of rotation, in essence SW2007 selects the nearest model component and readjust the center of rotation, this makes it so much easier to rotate a 3D model especially when zoomed in.

If 3D connexion added this feature the device would be the perfect dream device.

3D connexion software engineers please sit down in front of a Machine running SW2007 and try it, you will see why you need to add similar functionality.

Jason
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi drcaveman

Thank you for posting your suggestion.

We will take a look to this feature.
scottmandoo

SW2007 center of rotation

Post by scottmandoo »

Hi agoenczi

Have there been any further developements with regards to this feature?

:?:
spainman

Post by spainman »

Hi,

same questions as above. How long will it take till we see support for this?

Ruben
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi spainman,
How long will it take till we see support for this?
You have not been forgotten but, as in any company, we have a set of priorities. When the feature is schedule for implementation, we will report back here.
Nuno Gomes
drcaveman

Make Priority

Post by drcaveman »

This is the only thing keeping a good device from being a truly great device

Caveman
vasilg

Post by vasilg »

In my opinion implementing such an option will render uselsess device into useful.

I would not bought this device if I knew that it had such a gret flaw. I purchased it because I wanted to rotate the view and I found that it could not rotate the view without causing a mess. So I am back with roatating with the arrow keys of the keyboard...
And now you do what they told ya
martinp

Post by martinp »

On the SW 3DControl toolbar there are Set Center Point and Set Centre Axis buttons to set the center of rotation. First select in SW a vertex, point, edge or whatever you want to rotate about, then select the appropriate button.

You can also set AutoRotation center in the 3DControl/Properties menu which may give you what you want.
Martin
vasilg

Post by vasilg »

I tryed the auto rotation center option... It is not what I want ( I can't understand what it is doing at all). As for manually selecting the center of rotation - not me. I'll create macro for one of the buttons - memorize current mouse position, click in the center of the screen, execute "3dconnexionSetCenterPoint", restore mouse position... But it would be easier if thet was done automatically in every beginning of rotation.
chrisman

Better do it yourself !!!!!

Post by chrisman »

Hi guys, ... I'm absolutely sure that this feature you're requesting will NOT be added for atleast 2 years from now !!!

I requested something similar for Maya (which basicaly is the way Maya works, but 3dconnexion engineers just didn't understand) and still ...already year passed - nothing changed to the driver...!!!

and I'm also sure most of the time they don't test it on machine with Maya, Solidworks, max and so on, or the testers are not 3D Artists or... they just don't test it enough!

I suggest you do it by your self,... it's not that difficult! I did it - 5 lines of code...but for their engineers is veeeery difficult and time consuming job.[/code]
----------------------
Live while you live!
JRICHTER

Post by JRICHTER »

Do you have the code to share? How does one modify the driver to accomidate this functionality?
kmkywap

Post by kmkywap »

Has there been an update on this issue in the past year?

I'm a week away from the end of my 30 day Space Navigator trial, and this is currently a deal breaker.

When zoomed in and creating mates in large assemblies, the necessity to select a face/line/point before using the set centre point command is really killing the efficiency of the device for me. This is a pretty regularly occurring situation and I find it far quicker to revert back to using the mouse wheel. When selecting faces for mates I can't also need to select faces for view orientation- it's such a flaw.

I've tried the Auto Rotation Centre option (which seemed like it might've helped) although I can't see the difference this makes. It seems to me that the solution needs to be for the command to centre on the current mouse pointer location (as Vasilg suggests). In fact if anyone has a work round using the macro he suggested I'd be grateful for some guidance.

Thanks.
dbelflower

Post by dbelflower »

I too am waiting for an update to this problem. It works like a charm in CATIA V5 - just middle click with the center mouse button and your center of rotation is set! It is so painful in SolidWorks. I purchased a Traveler about a year ago to evaluate it for my company - we will not be making any more purchases until it is useful in SolidWorks.
drcaveman

Post by drcaveman »

Any updates on this status?