3DMax 2011 - SpaceNavigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Vendetta

3DMax 2011 - SpaceNavigator

Post by Vendetta »

Well it seems that with every update the 3D Connexion has removed more and more settings from the interface. The 2010 Driver was the best one yet we would like the same driver for the 2011 version.

The main problem is that the, Rotation Center > Auto feature turns off automatically at random times. Also, when switching viewports, even though sometimes it remains on, it seems to freeze in one location or another, thus needing to go back into 3Dconnexion Control Panel, and switching the buttons again. This happens all too often to not become a major annoyance.

What we the users and buyers request, is that, instead of the Auto Feature, can we get REAL settings; such as World, Selected Object. You know, the settings you had before...

I'm confused as to why you had removed so many options and settings from the 3DSMax Panel Fn.

I now need to buy the Razer/Belkin Nostromo/Speed Pad in order to compensate for the lack of settings in the 3DConnexion...

What happened to you Logitech? We don't all use Macs, we need settings!!!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

This is really begging to get very annoying. I have 2 buttons on the space navigator, 1 which I choose to set as Ctrl and the other as Undo. Now when I'm modelling, both of these buttons are EXTREMELY USEFUL!

Why does the AUTO feature in the 3DSMAX Panel Fn keep turning off? Is there a new "update" coming around in the next few days?

Is there any way (I WOULD PAY FOR THIS) that we could get the driver that was made for 2010, can we get that to work with 2011 as well. I'm speaking for all 3D Connexion Space Navigator users out there when I ask if we could revert back to that update. The person that came up with it, deserves more than a medal, a job at IBM not with Logitech.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

RESOLVED!!!

Thank you Logitech for your awful customer support.

-Uninstall any version of 3DConnexion Driver for Max 2011.

-Download and Install 3Dx Software 3.8.2 (released 11/19/2009)

-Copy the following files from 3D Max 2010 to 3D Max 2011.

Copy “3dxstd.dlu” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\stdplugs

Copy “3DxStudio.ms” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\Startup

Copy “3DxStudio.chm” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\help
(copy and paste all files, select "Skip" to duplicates)

Boom, 3D Max 2010 (Best 3DConnexion driver ever made) on 3D Max 2011. No more issues
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Vendetta wrote:RESOLVED!!!

Thank you Logitech for your awful customer support.

-Uninstall any version of 3DConnexion Driver for Max 2011.

-Download and Install 3Dx Software 3.8.2 (released 11/19/2009)

-Copy the following files from 3D Max 2010 to 3D Max 2011.

Copy “3dxstd.dlu” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\stdplugs

Copy “3DxStudio.ms” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\Startup

Copy “3DxStudio.chm” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\help
(copy and paste all files, select "Skip" to duplicates)

Boom, 3D Max 2010 (Best 3DConnexion driver ever made) on 3D Max 2011. No more issues
IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT ALLOW UPDATES! and DO NOT UPDATE:

Had to triple post since I can't edit my own posts 8)
rstadie

Re: 3DMax 2011 - SpaceNavigator

Post by rstadie »

Hi Vendetta!
Vendetta wrote:...The main problem is that the, Rotation Center > Auto feature turns off automatically at random times. Also, when switching viewports, even though sometimes it remains on, it seems to freeze in one location or another, thus needing to go back into 3Dconnexion Control Panel, and switching the buttons again. This happens all too often to not become a major annoyance. ...
Do you mean actually the "Auto" option became disabled or it did not work as you extected it to work?

Vendetta wrote:...What we the users and buyers request, is that, instead of the Auto Feature, can we get REAL settings; such as World, Selected Object. ...
We have now (in our newest driver) the option to "Use Selected Item" (on or off). This means if you select an item, only this item will be used for your rotation center calculation.

Which function do you miss in the new driver?
Robert Stadie
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Hy rstadie,

I meant both, the "Auto" option becomes disabled when switching viewports or sometimes randomly for no apparent reason.

Sometimes it's Active, but the pivot point gets stuck in one spot.

Before I posted I tried numerous versions of the driver, and have even updated it several times, there was no option for "Use Selected Item".

Either way, I'll stick with the way I found, it works perfectly and is exactly what I wanted. Thanks anyways :)