3ds Max 2011 - Slate Material Editor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

digitalx3d

3ds Max 2011 - Slate Material Editor

Post by digitalx3d »

I'm wondering if it'd be possible in an upcoming driver release for the Space Pilots to work in the different node views of 3dsMax. Particularly in the Slate Material Editor. However, right now the SpacePilot continues to navigate in the main scene viewports. I think it'd be a real natural way to work in Slate... fast too, since zooming and panning is now an integral part of that work environment.

Any chance of this??
Thanks!!
John Pruden
www.digitalxmodels.com
3D Model Marketplace
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

this is an excellent idea.
Bryan

3DNavigation in Slate Material Editor

Post by Bryan »

Dear digitalx3d,

We provide a free SDK, Software Development Kit, for developers to make it as easy as possible to include use of our input devices in their user interfaces. We welcome and encourage application developers to take advantage of the input from our devices to enhance their user interfaces.

If you know of, or can imagine ways to make use of the input from our devices that would be beneficial in an application, we encourage you to let that application's developers or their marketing department know of this added value. Encourage them to make the changes in their next development cycle that you would find valuable.

Let Autodesk know how you would like to work in their application. Let them know how you would like to take advantage of the input from our navigaiton devices. Let them know how valuable you would find it if you could work in a fashion that maximizes your work flow and allows you greater creative freedom.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

that's true, we must knock on another door.
UtaSH

Re: 3ds Max 2011 - Slate Material Editor

Post by UtaSH »

digitalx3d wrote:I'm wondering if it'd be possible in an upcoming driver release for the Space Pilots to work in the different node views of 3dsMax. Particularly in the Slate Material Editor. However, right now the SpacePilot continues to navigate in the main scene viewports. I think it'd be a real natural way to work in Slate... fast too, since zooming and panning is now an integral part of that work environment.

Any chance of this??
Thanks!!
Hi digitalx3d,

did I get that right that you would like to pan and zoom in the Slate Material Editor?

I created an enhancement request. For your reference: our internal handling number is 5653.
digitalx3d

Post by digitalx3d »

Bryan,
Does that mean that 3D Connexion currently CANNOT add navigation functionality to SLATE similar to what we can now do in the orthographic viewports? And because of limitations in 3dsmax? If so, I will send a note to Autodesk. However, it seems like a request coming from 3D Connexion would be far more effective than one coming from me.

Uludwid's post makes it sound like it IS in fact possible, so I'll cross my fingers, and hopefully you guys can let me know if or when this feature can be added.

My original post made reference to other Node views in 3dsmax as well, such as Schematic View. In my personal workflow though, I rarely use Schematic View, but ALWAYS use SLATE, so... for me, the material editor is a priority. Other users might like navigation functionality in the other node views though...
John Pruden
www.digitalxmodels.com
3D Model Marketplace
Fred

Post by Fred »

Uludwig has placed a request with the programmers to see if it is possible to add support in the Slate view. We do work with Autodesk to keep our add-in up to date with changes in the software.