3ds Max 2011 how to enable rotate on selection?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

RICH055

3ds Max 2011 how to enable rotate on selection?

Post by RICH055 »

I read a thread that said this option has been made available again, Can you tell me how to get the rotation axis back on whatever I select without having to Control and MMB?

also why was this changed i dont get the logic, the blue + just seems to float around?

thanks!
RICH055

Post by RICH055 »

i mapped a key to rotate selection that did not work. to be clear i want the blue + to move to whatever I select and the 3d Connexion device to use that as its center. right not my large scene to dificult to move around it.
UtaSH

Re: 3ds Max 2011 how to enable rotate on selection?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi RICH055,

did you enable the option "Move Objects" in the "Advanced" menu of the 3Dconnexion popup menu?
RICH055

Post by RICH055 »

yes i did that just makes the object move around, i want to orbit around whatever is selected, just like the driver used to work in max 2010.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Well this thread died out fast, gotta love 3DConnexion. I was actually looking for the same thing...I guess I found my answer.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

RICH055 wrote:i mapped a key to rotate selection that did not work. to be clear i want the blue + to move to whatever I select and the 3d Connexion device to use that as its center. right not my large scene to dificult to move around it.
Hi Rich,

You can enable Rotation Center -> "Use Selected Item" in the pop-up menu. This setting can be combined with "Auto".

The settings are also described in the manual:

Auto

This configures the "Rotation Center" behaviour for Object and Target Camera Mode (in "Camera Mode" the rotation center is always your point of view). If "Auto" is enabled the center of rotation is automatically set. When the complete scene is in view, the center of volume of the scene is used as rotation point. When you move closer, the center of rotation will be set on an object close to your center of the view....

Use Selected Item

This configures the "Rotation Center" behaviour for Object and Target Camera Mode (in "Camera Mode" the rotation center is always your point of view). If "Use Selected Item" is enabled the center of rotation calculation only takes your selected item(s) into account.

Is this what you were looking for?
Robert Stadie