Brand new user. First impressions.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Havoc340

Brand new user. First impressions.

Post by Havoc340 »

Ok, I'm still trying to not puke. haha.

I get some kind of motion sickness from CAD, and it takes me a bit to get over. I've been adjusted now for a while, but now things are moving in ways I can't control and don't expect them to. Growing pains.

Overall, I have been REALLY wanting one of these for a while. I knew there was going to be a learning curve. It's just a bit steep for my liking.

The "Customizable" as advertised has fallen very short for me. I'm finding out there are ways to change what I want to change, but I really don't feel I should be having to learn how to code to get my new spacemouse to work how I wanted or expected it to.

The software end has just felt lacking. I really want axis mapping, and deadband adjustment. I'm sure as time goes by, I'll get used to the counterintuitive controls, but honestly I don't feel I should have to. I should have the control to make it work how I want to use it on day 1. Otherwise I kind of feel disappointed, and am still strongly considering returning it.

The deadband issue is because sometimes my brand new spacemouse just wanders. And as I am working the model is just spinning. Aiding in my nausea haha. If I could easily adjust the deadband, that problem would go away. Also, as a new user, it's simply too sensitive. It's not too fast. (Changing speed does not change how easily it is to move in an unwanted direction). But when I want to push right to pan, with it's stiff spring, I'm finding I'm also spinning out of control because it easily rocks.

Axis mapping I feel is clutch. Some of the video reviews I have seen mention it's like "Holding the model in your hand". Well, when I want to turn a model along the Z axis, I don't rock it along the XY. I may have gotten the axis labels wrong, but after searching around I see it's a common request. I also have tried to follow the information in those posts to do make the change manually, but again I'm not a coder. I'm a machinist who's learning CAD/CAM.

I see great potential, and it is a great niche product. It's simply not as easy to use as I had hoped. And to me it feels counterintuitive. So there's a double struggle there. First learning how to use it in the first place as it is a completely new experience, and secondly constantly battling my intuition in the process.

So I have simply disabled a few of the axis that get me mixed up, and I feel like I'm making progress.

Anyway. That's my first impressions. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Or return it. Either way I'm glad I tried it.
UtaSH

Re: Brand new user. First impressions.

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Havoc340,

the model should not wander once you release the cap of your SpaceMouse.
BTW - which model do you have?

If your intuition does not fit to what we feel intuitive :wink: - did you already try if changing the zoom direction in the advanced settings would solve your problem?
Havoc340

Re: Brand new user. First impressions.

Post by Havoc340 »

I have the Spacemouse Wireless. If I power cycle it, it will stop wandering. I think maybe I am touching the cap or bump it slightly as I turn it on maybe? I'm not sure.

I have changed zoom direction, as well as switched its axis to up/down vs push/pull. I'm getting the hang of it mostly after a couple days now, except the twist and rock right to left NEED to be swapped. I'm still constantly battling wanting to twist the cap to twist the model. And I'm trying to rock the cap when I want the model to rock.

Overall, I'll probably keep it. It's been handy a couple times. Generally though I'm not using it as much as I wanted to. I get fed up with it not doing what I think it should and just grab that shift key instead. I actually did remap one of the buttons to be the shift key haha.

I think overall everything is pretty good. It works as described. It's just not as customizable as I expected.