3ds max 2020 is cursed?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

clearskystudio

3ds max 2020 is cursed?

Post by clearskystudio »

Hello again,

Please do the following:

Open 3ds max 2020.3
Empty scene opens. Maximized Perspective view by default on my side. All good so far.
Unmaximize to Quad view. Still working in Persp view.
A single click on an ortho view (left, right, etc)
3D mouse stops working at all, no movement, it's died. Buttons are working though.
Restarting 3ds max helps though.

Dear management, can you please FIRE the one who works on 3ds max drivers?!
Please! Please! Please! :cry:

P.S. Going to check 2021 soon. Will keep you posted.
clearskystudio

Re: 3ds max 2020 is cursed?

Post by clearskystudio »

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it's about the last 10.6.6 update.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Ok, it's a bit trickier to reproduce than I thought.
So it seems that it breaks in the following scenario:
Customize User Interface / Mouse / AutoFocus Viewport - should be turned on.
If you pre-click another viewport prior to any movement with the mouse it works.
But if you hover the mouse pointer over the inactive viewport, with no mouse clicks start trying to move hovered viewport, the movement appears on the active viewport only, regardless of the corresponding setting in the 3dxware menu, and when you click after that on the new viewport it breaks.
It seems like a background driver crash or smth like that.
I really hope to expect some kind of a quick bugfix release. It just crashes now, not possible to work at all.
Thank you for your elevated attention to this in advance.
thempus

Post by thempus »

Unbelievable. Seems as broken or worse than before. After all the confirmation that things were fixed, it is still unusable. Officially given up on this hardware, after so many years of productivity it seems that expecting a working 3ds max plugin is too much for them to get right.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

The easiest way to reproduce the driver crash is the following:
In quad viewports layout, start moving 3D mouse hovering any of viewports and while moving click on another viewport.
Immediate movement hang follows with no way to recover without 3ds max restart.
This seems to be the most precise description of the bug.
Please fix.
Thanks.
luping

Post by luping »

Have you read carefully the 3DCONNEXION SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT?
There's a notice: IMPORTANT: READ THIS NOTICE BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
Maybe you have to pay special attention to section 5, 6 and 7 of this license agreement.

Anyway, the driver is not so good as you may expected, there's no guarantee.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

So the only way of using 3d mice in 3ds max 2020 currently is to roll back to 10.6.0.
It has the old movement scale algorithm, which is great and hasn't been showing any abnormal activity so far which is surprising and satisfying at the same time.
I'm wondering why nobody from "tech support" hasn't advised me to do this so far, nor I was able to find anything on that my self here.
It could have decreased a lot of frustration and blaming, which hopefully had reached proper eyes eventually, although there are no obvious signs of that so far.
Anyhow, keep your immune system in shape and let peace be upon you.
luping

Post by luping »

clearskystudio wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:50 am So the only way of using 3d mice in 3ds max 2020 currently is to roll back to 10.6.0.
It has the old movement scale algorithm, which is great and hasn't been showing any abnormal activity so far which is surprising and satisfying at the same time.
I'm wondering why nobody from "tech support" hasn't advised me to do this so far, nor I was able to find anything on that my self here.
It could have decreased a lot of frustration and blaming, which hopefully had reached proper eyes eventually, although there are no obvious signs of that so far.
Anyhow, keep your immune system in shape and let peace be upon you.
Not enough revenue/income to support more human resource of 3Dconnexion, limited sales of 3Dconnexion hardware. The 3Dconnexion is now independent again, split from Logitech, becoming a small company.
thempus

Post by thempus »

I "hacked" my own support for Spacenavigator in 3ds max, it took me a couple of hours including having to research from scratch. My method doesn't even require plugins that are outdated with each 3ds max release.

I think I lost a lot more time trying to find a solution on the forums than just solving it by myself.

The fact that I can quickly do this and they can't, is enough to show the level of support they can give to this hardware currently. Instead of making people wait for months for driver updates that doesn't work, they could have just provided a very similar solution as a quick fix.

I'm preparing for when they artificially stop supporting my "discontinued" product that is pretty much the same as the new one.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

The same issue persists in 10.6.7.
I assume a bug report is not enough for a bug to be tackled. Well, fair enough. Wait for more.

Indeed, when you are at the bottom of the ratings already why not to save a couple of bucks for a beer far from those damn problems. :lol:

For normal folks out there looking for a stable workflow in 3ds max 2020 - stick to 10.6.0, don't waste your time talking with a vacuum of space.
tmcthree

Post by tmcthree »

thempus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 pm I "hacked" my own support for Spacenavigator in 3ds max, it took me a couple of hours including having to research from scratch. My method doesn't even require plugins that are outdated with each 3ds max release.

I think I lost a lot more time trying to find a solution on the forums than just solving it by myself.

The fact that I can quickly do this and they can't, is enough to show the level of support they can give to this hardware currently. Instead of making people wait for months for driver updates that doesn't work, they could have just provided a very similar solution as a quick fix.

I'm preparing for when they artificially stop supporting my "discontinued" product that is pretty much the same as the new one.
How?
Nonny3D

Post by Nonny3D »

clearskystudio wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:49 am The same issue persists in 10.6.7.
I assume a bug report is not enough for a bug to be tackled. Well, fair enough. Wait for more.

Indeed, when you are at the bottom of the ratings already why not to save a couple of bucks for a beer far from those damn problems. :lol:

For normal folks out there looking for a stable workflow in 3ds max 2020 - stick to 10.6.0, don't waste your time talking with a vacuum of space.
I do agree with clearskystudio,
the only driver was working for me so fare in 3DsMax is 10.6.0 , not trouble at all,
the camera mode jumping problem in perspective for example is not there anymore with driver 10.6.0 :!:
(you find the driver in the 3Dconnexion Driver page in the Driver archive)
remember with a "Downgrade" to this driver you have to delete also the user configuration or the driver dont start, it has to be a "Clean install" and you have to re-map your shortcuts , importing the shortcuts from newer driver wasnt working for me, clean install 10.6.0 , remapping shortcuts and it should working fine in 3DsMax :)

Greetings from Southamerica
Nonny
Lieber von Rembrandt gemalt, als vom Leben gezeichnet! 8)
Sprachen/Languages/Idiomas: Deutsch/English/Español
thempus

Post by thempus »

tmcthree wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 am
thempus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 pm I "hacked" my own support for Spacenavigator in 3ds max, it took me a couple of hours including having to research from scratch. My method doesn't even require plugins that are outdated with each 3ds max release.

How?
I used some code from the sdk (c# samples) then compiled a dotnet DLL to load in 3ds max, so I can react to the updates sent from the SpaceNavigator. I register to an event using maxscript then update the active viewport.

I'm not sure if I can share the c# code as I have no clue if their license allows me to do that.
luping

Post by luping »

thempus wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:17 pm
tmcthree wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 am

How?
I used some code from the sdk (c# samples) then compiled a dotnet DLL to load in 3ds max, so I can react to the updates sent from the SpaceNavigator. I register to an event using maxscript then update the active viewport.

I'm not sure if I can share the c# code as I have no clue if their license allows me to do that.
Isn't that ♯(sharp sign) instead of #(hash sign, pound sign) for C Sharp(C♯)?