Firefox + Onshape Problem

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

HeavyTeva

Firefox + Onshape Problem

Post by HeavyTeva »

System:
Hardware: Spacemouse Compact 3D, FW 4.20
Driver: 3DxWare 10.6.4, 3DxWincore 17.6.4.16911
Software: Firefox 72.0.1 64bit
Windows 10 Pro 1909
3DxNlServer along with other 3Dx.... processes are running in the background

Problem/Observations:

The 3D mouse does NOT operate correctly when using Onshape in Firefox. When I tilt the mouse left or right, AND when I tilt the mouse forward and back, the part in Onshape zoom in and out in very choppy iterations. The zoom is NOT smooth.

The 3D mouse does operate correctly when using Onshape in Chrome and Microsoft Edge

When I open the 3Dconnexion Properties dialogue box in Chrome on the browser tab with Onshape, the dialogue box title / header is "Onshape"
When I open the 3Dconnexion Properties dialogue box in Chrome on a browser tab displaying a different website (i.e. google.com), the dialogue box title / header is "Chrome"
When I open the 3Dconnexion Properties dialogue box in Firefox on the browser tab with Onshape, the dialogue box title / header is "Firefox". It did not change to "Onshape" like it did in Chrome.
When I open the 3Dconnexion Properties dialogue box in Firefox on a browser tab displaying a different website (i.e. google.com), the dialogue box title / header stays the same: "Firefox"

I can get my work done in Chrome but prefer to use Firefox as my browser. Please advise.
ngomes

Re: Firefox + Onshape Problem

Post by ngomes »

Hi HeavyTeva,
HeavyTeva wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm [...]
When I open the 3Dconnexion Properties dialogue box in Firefox on the browser tab with Onshape, the dialogue box title / header is "Firefox". It did not change to "Onshape" like it did in Chrome.
[...]
Looks like Firefox is blocking Onshape's attempt to connect to the driver (which occurs over a WebSocket on the network loop-back adaptor). To confirm, check what comes up after loading the following URL:
https://127.51.68.120:8181/3dconnexion/nlproxy

If an error is shown, check if all is fine in Chrome (the URL should display a software version, JSON-formatted).

If all is well in Chrome but not Firefox, it may be that the driver was not able to add the root certificate. The certificate is required for Secure Websockets connections. Check your certificate manager panel in the Firefox settings (Options > Privacy & Security > Certificates > View Certificates...) and if the "3Dconnexion CA (auto-generated)" file isn't listed, then import it. The certificate is stored in the file "root.crt" normally found at C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxNLServer\bin.
HeavyTeva

Post by HeavyTeva »

ngomes,

Thanks for the response. I had tried all of your recommendations prior to posting here. The 3Dconnexion CA was already installed in Firefox, but the 3D mouse still would not work.

However, based on your response I went back into the Certificate Manager in Firefox, this time clicking the "Edit Trust" button for the 3Dconnexion CA. None of the trust settings were selected. I clicked / checked the box next to "This certificate can identify websites". My 3D mouse now works in Firefox with Onshape.

Thanks again. Hopefully this helps others.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi HeavyTeva ,
HeavyTeva wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 am However, based on your response I went back into the Certificate Manager in Firefox, this time clicking the "Edit Trust" button for the 3Dconnexion CA. None of the trust settings were selected. I clicked / checked the box next to "This certificate can identify websites". My 3D mouse now works in Firefox with Onshape.
Ah, yes. I should have mentioned to check the trust settings of the certificate. I will keep that in mind. Thank you for posted back. It is an important detail.

One additional note, the driver is supposed to add the certificate to the Firefox profile after launching. For some reason this process failed on your system. Perhaps the certificate was added but the trust settings were left blank causing the issue you observed.