3DxWare stopped unexpectedly

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

smthu

3DxWare stopped unexpectedly

Post by smthu »

Hi.

I've been using 3DConnexion products for many years now. Lately I've experienced that the 3DxWare stops unexpectedly on mye several times daily.

I'm using a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless with the latest driver/software on a Windows 10 x64 system, running SolidWorks 2019 SP4.0 and Siemens TeamCenter.

This has all been working quite well until the last couple of weeks. Now, every time I start TeamCenter, try to log on to TeamCenter, try to open a file from TeamCenter, save a file from SolidWorks to TeamCenter or check in/out files from TeamCenter, I get the following error message/notification:
"3DxWare stopped unexpectedly. Restart the 3DxWare driver manually. If this problem persists contact 3Dconnexion Tech Support."

I've already removed and reinstalled the 3DxWare twice and rebooted my system. I've reconfigured (re-installed) TeamCenter as well and rebooted
my system, but as you probably understand, this hasn't changed a thing. I've also filled out a support form at 3Dconnexion.com as well as spoken to the TeamCenter support guys, which by the way refers me back to 3DConnexion. They claim that since it's the 3DxWare software that fails/crashes/stops, it's up to 3Dconnexion to fix the issue... so here I am, waiting for some miracle to happen and things start to work again. In the mean time I'm "crying for help" in this forum, hoping that someone might have experienced something similar and better yet - have a solution that might work.

Best regards

Stig M. Thu
Product developer
ASSA ABLOY Global Solutions
Attachments
10-01-2020 07-12-15.jpg
10-01-2020 07-12-15.jpg (220.73 KiB) Viewed 17099 times
07-01-2020 07-47-38.jpg
07-01-2020 07-47-38.jpg (16.86 KiB) Viewed 17099 times
jwick

Re: 3DxWare stopped unexpectedly

Post by jwick »

Hello smthu,

Could you please do the following:

1) Start the driver if it is not already running (Start Menu->3Dconnexion->Start 3DxWare)
2) Right click on the 3Dx systray icon -> Write Log File
3) Stop the driver (Start menu)
4) Restart the driver (so I can see the log file from the beginning)
5) Run Team Center until you see the crash
6) Start the driver again
7) Shift + Right click the 3Dx systray icon -> Run Diagnostics
8) This will run a program that will collect information about the driver (log files, cfg files, status files, etc). Check the box that says collect crash dmp files.
9) It will open an explorer window to the file when it finishes.
10) Please send (we/dropbox/onedrive/etc) that file to me (send me a PM with the link).

Thank you,
Jim
3Dx Software Development
smthu

Post by smthu »

Hi again Jim.
I posted a reply with the link first, but it hasn't been published (yet?). Then I saw that you wanted a PM
with the link, but I cannot use this feature yet... or at least that's the message I get when I try to compose
a message - and I cannot find a way to send you a PM directly from the post...

Best regards

Stig M. Thu
jwick

Post by jwick »

I got the file. You can delete it now.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Delete this file:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg\CST STUDIO SUITE.xml.
UofPitt

Post by UofPitt »

I have the same problem with the latest (10.6.4) driver.
smthu

Post by smthu »

Hi again.

Just wanted to confirm that - as per now - the solution (deleting the xml-file) seems to be working. I've restarted the computer, fired up TeamCenter, logged in, checked in and out files without the crash/error-message popping up - and the SpaceMouse Pro keeps on working, so I guess this is
where I smile and say thank you very much for solving the extremely annoying issue.

Have a nice day onwards and once again, thanks for your time and effort.

Best regards

Stig M. Thu
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

this problem occurred also on my workstation after updating to version win 10 LTSC 1809. From what I can tell, it has to do with the xml's. The 'settings import' doesn't seem to work as before. The solution is to manually replace, or delete the respective xml (always save your xml's manually before installing a new OS). I could describe the problem with more detail, but I guess jwick and other developers are on it. It's a relatively new problem.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
luping

Post by luping »

Phil999 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:07 pm this problem occurred also on my workstation after updating to version win 10 LTSC 1809. From what I can tell, it has to do with the xml's. The 'settings import' doesn't seem to work as before. The solution is to manually replace, or delete the respective xml (always save your xml's manually before installing a new OS). I could describe the problem with more detail, but I guess jwick and other developers are on it. It's a relatively new problem.
Windows 10 LTSC 1809 is for IOT devices, why you install it for desktop workstation?
jwick

Post by jwick »

There are two problems here.

1) There's a problem with Import. It drops files in the middle of a running driver. More than likely the files are from an old CfgFormatVersion (because you saved them in an older driver). The driver doesn't handle the upgrade of these correctly when they drop down from the sky. It only tries to upgrade cfg files when it starts. Importing while the driver is not running probably solves that. But 3DxSmartUI always starts the driver... So as Phil999 mentioned, doing the unzip manually outside the driver should fix that (it's just a zip file). I'm looking at it.

Please mention if you are using the GUI's Import functionality when this happens. The OP was not doing that. That's a different problem.

2) (OP problem) There's a conflict with the CST STUDIO SUITE cfg contents. The definition isn't tightly qualified so it gets used when it should not be (e.g., with TeamCenter). "Garbage In" problem. I'm looking at that one too.

All will be fixed. Thanks for the bug reports and patience.

Jim
jwick

Post by jwick »

Both of these issues have been addressed for the next release.
luping

Post by luping »

jwick wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:35 am Both of these issues have been addressed for the next release.
Vaporware?
Maybe 3Dconnexion can adopt plug-in online update mechanism to separate the robust core driver layer and the plug-in layer?
lidsta

Post by lidsta »

I have, what I think, the same or a similar problem in Catia V5R26.

The only difference is that the driver stops as soon as I use any of the buttons on the Space Mouse. Moving/rotating etc is fine.

It was a bit of a pain to import the settings file after upgrading to Win10, but finally it worked. At least I can now see that everything looks like before in "Properties". But this is to little use if its stops working as soon as I use the device.

Any help would be very appreciated and thanks in advance.

If it helps I have a log file to provide.

/Andreas
ajb

Post by ajb »

Hi Tech Support, Hi Jim,

I am also suffering from this problem.
Problem description:
-----------------------
1) 3DxWare launches "normally" (manually or as a service, doesn't make a difference)
2) from the moment I click on e.g. "Viewer" in "3DConnection Home" or launch it through "3DxViewer10.exe", the service gets kicked out: "3DxWare stopped unexpectedly".
Same or similar with any other application (Creo, Trainer, AutoCAD, ...)

When "3DxViewer10" is open, I can re-launch "3DxWare" (sometimes), and if that succeeds, movement control is crippled (only apparently zoom in and zoom out in a diagonal direction...)

Already tried:
---------------
- uninstalling and installing again (> 5 times) & frequent reboots...
- Cleaned up the configuration on Windows (https://3dconnexion.com/nl/support/faq/ ... n-windows/)
- Uninstalling any other mouse driver, aka Logitech Setpoint
- ...?

I have also followed the guidelines in the beginning of the thread (by jwick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 am ) to create a zip file with collect crash dmp files. Can I send it to Tech Support?

Hoping Tech Support can help me...
Please instruct me what I can further do?

Jan
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Jan,

What 3DxWare version (10.8.2)?
What device (an old wireless device with a device-specific dongle)?

We have identified a problem with 10.8.2 and our very old device-specific dongles. See here.