Properties panel slow to display

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

gibson1

Properties panel slow to display

Post by gibson1 »

Hello,

I have a small issue that I don't know how to fix.

I have a SpaceMouse with two buttons, and whenever I click the left button, and then select "Properties...", it takes an unusually long time (10-12 seconds) for the properties dialog to appear.

It seems 3DxSmartUi.exe is trying to connect to the Internet, and fails after 6 attempts or so.

How can I configure 3DxSmartUi.exe not to do whatever it's doing and just display the properties panel, because this delay is extremely annoying. Thanks.

Using:
3DxWare 10 for Windows (64-bit)
jwick

Re: Properties panel slow to display

Post by jwick »

Hello,

The GUI doesn't try to connect to the internet. Possibly a system component it uses might be checking for an update. That seems unlikely.

It's more likely to be an antivirus check of the executable or a component it uses. You might try making an exception for the executable with your AV software. The AV software may keep a log of what it is checking to verify this theory.

Does the same delay occur when starting the GUI from the systray icon, or just running the executable?
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

Thanks for the reply.

The delay happens after I bring up the RM tools menu and click on the Properties... button.
It also happens when I click on "Open 3Dconnexion Properties" from the system tray icon.
3DxSmartUi.exe is launched at the exact moment. The only anti-virus software I have running is Windows Defender.

Things I tried:
- Added the entire C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\ folder to the WD exclude folders options. Didn't work.
- Disabled WD by uchecking Tools -> Options -> Admininstrator -> Use this program. Didn't work.
- Stopped the WD service completely in services.msc. Didn't work.

Maybe there's an embedded Microsoft component of 3DxSmartUi.exe trying to make a TCP connection,
I don't know. This happens on Windows 7 XP Pro, SP1.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

We have a report of a similar issue here. Since our executable files have a digital signature, we believe there may be a system configuration to trigger an online check to confirm the signature's validity.

As jwick mentioned, 3DxSmartUi.exe does not try to access the network.
jwick

Post by jwick »

What do you mean by this?
3DxSmartUi.exe is launched at the exact moment.
3DxSmartUI.exe is started immediately in the task manager, but you still don't see the GUI window for 10-12 seconds?

Or, you see the 10-12s delay when starting it from radial menu and the systray icon, but there is no delay when running 3DxSmartUI.exe from windows explorer?

If so, the first two cases are being run by 3DxService.exe and the problem could be there. Turn logging on (3Dx systray icon) and use a program like baretail.exe to see exactly what 3DxService is doing when you tell it to launch the GUI (3DxSmartUI.exe). The log file is %localappdata%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/3DxService.log. Perhaps you see the long delay in that log file trace.

And you are running this on Win 7?
luping

Post by luping »

gibson1 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm Hello,

I have a small issue that I don't know how to fix.

I have a SpaceMouse with two buttons, and whenever I click the left button, and then select "Properties...", it takes an unusually long time (10-12 seconds) for the properties dialog to appear.

It seems 3DxSmartUi.exe is trying to connect to the Internet, and fails after 6 attempts or so.

How can I configure 3DxSmartUi.exe not to do whatever it's doing and just display the properties panel, because this delay is extremely annoying. Thanks.

Using:
3DxWare 10 for Windows (64-bit)
Back up your current 3DxWare settings(Export Settings), then click Rest all settings in 3Dconnexion properties window.
luping

Post by luping »

Sorry, minor typo error, it's 'Reset all settings'.
jwick

Post by jwick »

gibson1,

If luping's suggestion helps, I'd be interested in seeing the files that you exported.
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

Sorry, resetting didn't work. I'm getting the delay because I block all Internet connections while I'm working.

This executable is trying to verify its digital signature over the Internet, and it takes some time before it gives up. Because my Internet connection is not completely off, it tries to connect. So, what I can do is disable the Internet connection completely. When the executable sees that my connection is disabled, it won't try to connect, so the Property panel should popup immediately.

Start -> Network Connections -> right-click on "Local Area Connection" (whichever network you're using) and select Disable. This works, but it's an inconvenient hack.
luping

Post by luping »

gibson1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:11 am Sorry, resetting didn't work. I'm getting the delay because I block all Internet connections while I'm working.

This executable is trying to verify its digital signature over the Internet, and it takes some time before it gives up. Because my Internet connection is not completely off, it tries to connect. So, what I can do is disable the Internet connection completely. When the executable sees that my connection is disabled, it won't try to connect, so the Property panel should popup immediately.

Start -> Network Connections -> right-click on "Local Area Connection" (whichever network you're using) and select Disable. This works, but it's an inconvenient hack.
Fire up Task Manager, go to Services tab, right click to stop the DNS Client and/or DHCP Client service.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

I just posted this in another topic that may be relevant here.

Basically, the CLR loader will attempt to validate the Authenticode signature of 3DxSmartUi.exe. If the system blocks access to the DigiCert web site to retrieve the certificate revocation lists, the validation will fail but only after a timeout. The CLR loader is a system component and the behaviour is defined by Microsoft.

We'll be attempting to mitigate this issue following what is documented here.