Maya 2020

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tmcthree

Maya 2020

Post by tmcthree »

I've just installed Maya 2020 and my 3d mouse doesn't seem to work.
I've installed the latest 3dware driver.
It works in maya 2019 and my other programs.
UtaSH

Re: Maya 2020

Post by UtaSH »

Hi tmcthree,

we released a new driver version two days ago. Would you please install 3DxWare 10.6.4 and try again if you still have problems? Here in our lab we do not see a problem with Maya 2020 and 3DxWare 10.6.4.
Xanavia

Post by Xanavia »

Unfortunately I seem to have a problem with the latest driver for Maya 2020 and 2019. Parts of models keep randomly disappearing. They're still visible in the model tree and will (sometimes) reappear if you copy/paste the model in place. If you try to render (on Arnold) Maya crashes unless you delete the invisible model.I have this problem on 2 different, unconnected machines with different licenses (work and personal) and the only solution has been to strip the 3Dconnexion driver off completely. I have unloaded, reloaded Maya and deleted preferences several times with no effect.

I am not the only person with this problem.
TomKoe

Post by TomKoe »

Xanavia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm Unfortunately I seem to have a problem with the latest driver for Maya 2020 and 2019. Parts of models keep randomly disappearing. They're still visible in the model tree and will (sometimes) reappear if you copy/paste the model in place. If you try to render (on Arnold) Maya crashes unless you delete the invisible model.I have this problem on 2 different, unconnected machines with different licenses (work and personal) and the only solution has been to strip the 3Dconnexion driver off completely. I have unloaded, reloaded Maya and deleted preferences several times with no effect.

I am not the only person with this problem.
Same issue here. It took ages to find out, because it is strange, that Maya has influence on the viewport visibility of objects. Rolling back to version 10.6. worked out for me, but there was the issue again, that referenced and locked cameras could be accidently and undoably moved. The workaround for that was to duplicate the referenced Camera with its input connections and lock that one. Strange. But that is very circumstancial in an feature animation production, and produces an extra step in cleaning the scene while publishing to the pipeline.
Also, in the new driver version (10.6.4), it seems, that objects get selected randomly, when rotating the view with the spacemouse pro. And with the new driver installed, maya crashes repeatetly (Maya 2019.5). When the driver is uninstalled, everything works fine.

Cheers,
Tom
tlxxxviii

Post by tlxxxviii »

New to Autodesk / Blender / etc., and was very excited to get my Spacemouse today.
For about five minutes. Until the demo was over.
An hour later, I've packed it up to ship it back to Amazon.
Too many other variables to have to deal with wonky hardware.

The demo is really cool and works really well, though!
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi TomKoe,

Thanks for the updates in regards to this issue. Can you please send me the steps in order for me to reproduce the issue on my end?
We would love to test it and see if its something related to our plugin or something else.
If you could also include some screenshots or a video showing the process then that would be helpful.

Will be waiting for some updates on your end.

Regards,
Abdul. A
tmcthree

Post by tmcthree »

I've already sent this issue to support. Vlad (via Aleksandra) has it plus a demo scene ... here's a copy of my email to them.
TLDR. The issue is related to the construction history. Disable and then reenable one of the construction nodes to get your geometry back.

------------------------------------
Hi Aleksandra
Please find attached the scene that demonstrates the problem.
yetAnotherFatalBug.0006.ma.zip
(12.81 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
I have rolled back the driver to 10.6.0 and that seems to solve the issue.
So the problem seems to be only present in the latest driver 10.6.4.

To see the issue do as follows...

- Open the scene and locate "MISSING_OBJECT" in the outliner.
- If the bug is present for you, that object should seem to have no
vertices.
- Set one of that objects construction nodes (eg "polysplit17") to "has
no effect".
- The object should reappear.

I'm using a spaceexplorer usb (although it should be noted that the device
need not ever be attached to the machine for the bug to manifest. So it
seems clear to me that this is a driver and not a hardware issue)
Intel 3770k
32gb
2x Quadro M4000
Maya 2019.2
Maya 2020
Vray Next Build 4.12.02
claireh

Post by claireh »

Hi tmcthree,

I just loaded up your file and could reproduce the issue using driver 10.6.4 and Maya 2020. Looks like the issue is independent of the Maya version.

The problem you are seeing appears to be an extension of WIN-597. In essence, objects disappear when loading a previously saved scene. This problem is fixed and slated for release in the the next driver 10.6.5.

I was able to check for this on our test machine with your file in 10.6.5. And I can see the missing object mesh in the viewport when I load the scene. :)

Cheers,
Zach
Claire
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

I just experienced the missing geometry happening.

I am using Maya 2020 and 3DxWare 10.6.4, 3DxWinCore 17.6.4.16911 with Spacemouse Pro (FW4.36)

Copy/pasting geometry helped and i have the geometry visible again.

Autodesk and 3D connexion should solve this together ASAP since this is very serious bug even that the copy paste works in most cases, for now.
I am not sure but i could imagine that copy paste trick might not work with rigged and animated objects.

Now that I mentioned the animated object problem i remember that I had this exact same problem with my animated scene in December when i installed the maya 2020 and did some render tests. I some scenes my character geometry was missing and in some scenes parts of items that were parented to character were missing. luckily i had backup scene which i used for rendering in different machine that had maya 2019 and no 3D connexion driver installed.

...and now that i remembered that i can confirm that that happened on the 12.12.2019 since on that date I have made several copies of my file for troubleshooting and from the date i can confirm that i didn't have 10.6.4 driver installed since it is released on 16.12.2019. So the bug must also be in previous version but somehow it didn't happen with Maya 2019. Of course the older 3Dconnexion driver didn't work for the Maya 2020 on 12.12.2019.
I just opened one of the backup files that surely my character is missing object in his hand and it reappears if I unparent and then copy/paste it back.

This kind of missing geometry problems never has occurred me before Maya 2020. I have been really lucky, i guess, since i haven't had any file corruptions or missing geometry problems with Maya before 2020. It would be very important to find out if this is about Spacemouse driver or something in Maya 2020 update.

Basically this bug is so severe that if it is in 3D connexion side it renders the 3D mouse not safe to use.
Boban

Post by Boban »

All these happening to me also with dual maya 2018 and 2020. Been spending 2 days and nights trying to figure out what is suddenly going on.
Objects dispersal, perspective camera flies away thousands of units, scene flickering etc, mayas crash on exit etc... Al this since I installed the latest driver. I even wrote to autodesk support:

Hi all!

specs:
Win 7/sp1 all updates
I7 4790 K
gtx 970
32 Gb ram
Maya 2018.6
Maya 2020

All was good until I installed Maya 2020 at least at this point I noticed this really weird issue. Prior to Maya 2020 I had 2018 and 2019 installed. I have several projects with scenes with no issue. Troubles begun when i installed Maya 2020. Upon activation Maya insisted that it requires Internet Explorer 11, which I didn't have installed on my system atm. So I wanted to install it, but now windows 7 persistently insisted that I should also install all of the Win 7 updates, which I did. Then I installed IE11 and was able to successfully activate Maya 2020. After that I uninstalled Maya 2019.2, Bitfrost, substance and Arnold for that particular version.

Sorry for detailed intro, but I want to be clear from the beggining
Now I have 3 issues.

Issue 1:
Both Mayas 2020 and 2018.6 crashes on exit each time, which was not the case earlier. I googled and tried all solutions I have found with no success.

my steps to solution:
- Installed 2018.6 over 2018.5 which was installed before the problem started
- I checked for KB4040973 a win update which is mentioned here as a possible cause for Maya crash here

but which I don't have on my system
- I also deleted preferences
- Installed new driver for graphic card
- I even gave all permissions to a users to cmd.exe as it is suggested as one of solutions in above link

But unfortunately nothing helped

Issue 2:
In every scene I have in several projects a few random objects from scenes disappeared from viewport but are clearly visible in outliner, some even have history on them.
The ones with the history on them I managed to save and make visible again, by deleting the last action on them.
If I open the same scene with another version of Maya same thing happens and if I open the same scene on another computer everything is completely normal and perfect. my wild guess is that win 7 update somehow causing Maya old scenes to behave strange.

Issue 3:
When I open same scenes as before and LMB click on empty space i perspective view it makes camera moves away form scene. Each click moves camera more and more aside from the scene by random distance, which I observed in channel box. Usually even 1 click is enough that whole scene disappears from the view. For example if my scene has a building of a 100 meters, camera jumps away from it with each click (235m, 650m, 2300m, 6812m or similar).
Now again, if I create new scene and import this "broken" scene in it everything is O.K., except that missing objects are still missing and when I exit both Maya versions crashes or should I say freeze. Simply nothing happens and I am forced to Ctrl+alt+del to kill the process.

I tried everything which crossed my mind, and this is the best I have found, but I have to many scenes to import them all in new documents, and it's also not a real solution, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
sirpiltrafus

Post by sirpiltrafus »

Hi Boban,
I've been trough similar processes. The sad conclusion is that the Maya 3dconexxion driver/plugin became a nightmarish troll in coincidence with with the release of Maya 2020. Of course many of us thought that it was a problem with Maya itself, but is not.

If you want to exit Maya without crashing you can use this mel command:
unloadPlugin -f "3DxMaya";
quit;

However I recommend fully uninstall any 3dconnexion driver/plugins for Maya as they are actually breaking the program. At least until next version is out.
They claim they found the solution a couple of posts above so wait until next release to try again. I hope is not months.
Boban

Post by Boban »

sirpiltrafus wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:51 am Hi Boban,
I've been trough similar processes. The sad conclusion is that the Maya 3dconexxion driver/plugin became a nightmarish troll in coincidence with with the release of Maya 2020. Of course many of us thought that it was a problem with Maya itself, but is not.

quit;

However I recommend fully uninstall any 3dconnexion driver/plugins for Maya as they are actually breaking the program. At least until next version is out.
They claim they found the solution a couple of posts above so wait until next release to try again. I hope is not months.

Thanks for mel command
Foraver

Post by Foraver »

sirpiltrafus wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:51 am Hi Boban,

quit;

Hey,

I have a similar issues and looks like I will have to go with your solution. I will try using the mel command and see if it does the job and prevents any further crashing.

Thanks.
tmcthree

Post by tmcthree »

Hey did you try this?

"The issue is related to the construction history. Disable and then reenable one of the construction nodes to get your geometry back."

Not that that's a good solution. I've reverted to the previous driver and maya 2019 until 3dconnexion fix the bug
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

on Feb 7th, we have released 3DxWare 10.6.5 with some changes to the Maya plugin. You can download this version here. Please install 10.6.5 and let us know if this version of 3DxMaya fixes your issues.

Thanks,