Altium 19 - Cannot use functions with 3DxWare

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreaDFC

Altium 19 - Cannot use functions with 3DxWare

Post by AndreaDFC »

Hi all,

I've been using for long time 3dConnexion devices on SolidWorks and I really did enjoy it.

Now i began using Altium Designer and i figured out that i can only choose few features of the program from the 3dX software's menu (mainly views and few other things) - image attached .
I would like to like to be able to use all the keys from Altium (Place Via, Place track, and so on) as i saw on some pics on the web.

Do you think this might be related to the version of Altium ? (I'm using the last one, 19.1.8)

I already updated 3DxWare from the website, do I need to download special plugins?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Regards
Attachments
3dConnAltium.png
3dConnAltium.png (130.51 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
mhoopes

Re: Altium 19 - Cannot use functions with 3DxWare

Post by mhoopes »

Andrea,

It would be up to Altium to enable direct button functions. You can add Macros in the Buttons configuration page that correspond to shortcut keys in Altium Designer. For instance, I have a radial menu that triggers 8 different user-assigned macros that correspond to Align and Move Selection functions in AD:
align_macros.png
align_macros.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
Here's the radial menu in action:
align_macros.png
align_macros.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
If you like, you can add my AltiumDesigner xml file to your folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg; that will give you the macros and radial menu that I'm currently using.

One last trick: If you want to see your text in the 8-way radial menus, you need to delete or rename the following file:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg\Images\3DxService\User_Defined_Macros.png
Attachments
AltiumDesigner.zip
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
RM align.png
RM align.png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
Michael Hoopes
toybuilder

Re: Altium 19 - Cannot use functions with 3DxWare

Post by toybuilder »

Does the front/back/left/right buttons work for you guys?

I have a SpacePilot (which they recently declared "obsolete", but the driver still runs) and while the left-side function rose buttons work, the right-side ones to change the views do not seem to do anything for me. When I press to buttons to request the different side views, the LCD shows the function being requested, but AD does not actually seem to do anything except to bring up the "fit" view behavior.