Space pilot and Softimage 2011

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Niza

Space pilot and Softimage 2011

Post by Niza »

Ok, I must admit I'm disappointed by 3d connexion.
I'm a XSI (pardon, Softimage) user, and I'm disappointed my space pilot don't work with SI 2011.5
In any case, ok, modelling is the some in 2011 and I would use space pilot (not pro) only for modelling. But now I have another issue: the view port 3d, if I use my space pilot, lag, and if I select many polygons (not so many, 70 less more), the viewport lag tin a terrible way. If I use the standard navigation mode (in XSI "S" key + mouse click), with the some poly amount and object, the viewport go right.
I contact my country support for both issue (2011.5 not supported and viewport lag issue), and they tell me trying the installed test software (puzzle, collage and viewer). The first two work nice, viewer, instead, don't work and my nvidia driaver stop working, after few seconds turn work correctly. My Nvidia driver is the last released from nvidia (I have on my machine a GTX460 with 1 gb ram). All my software work well and I have issue only with 3dconnexion.
I have a phenom 1090t, Asus mother board, 16 gb ram and Gtx460 1gb ram. My operative system is Windows 7 64 bit.
In any case the support don't give me any solutions.
As I said, rally disappointed, you, 3dconnexion, promise a 20%/30% fast workflow, at to day I have only issue and lose many time (too many time) in setting and learning your tool without any benefit but only issues.
Anyone in the some situation? I hope in some support from community. [/url]
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I can't help you with the viewport performance issue, but as a general rule it is important to update software only if all drivers and devices are fully supported. This can take some months or years, and until that day we must use the older software version where drivers and devices work fine. Many companies and professionals use rather old software versions, they update only if they have to, because they cannot afford experiments and beta testing.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Niza

Post by Niza »

Hi,
thanks Phil.
Ok, I will wait the 3dconnexion new release (but when they will release new driver we will have the 2012 release...
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

yes, that's the way it works. Use the version that is two or three years old, and there won't be any problems.

It's always good to have a second computer or partition where you can test new versions, and if it works well for some weeks with all devices attached, it is relatively save to upgrade software on the main computer.
ngomes

Re: Space pilot and Softimage 2011

Post by ngomes »

Hi Niza,
I'm disappointed my space pilot don't work with SI 2011.5
We are adding support for Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Package (2011.5) in 3DxSoftware v. 3.12. Version 3.12 is expected to be available for download in a matter of days.

3Dconnexion always attempts to bring out up-to-date add-in solutions before the application is release or shortly after. We are sorry for the inconvenience the delay has caused you.
Nuno Gomes
Niza

Post by Niza »

Hi,
thanks!
A little other question, when will install the new file, can I save my preset/macro and key customization? Where is located my custom file?

Another issue:
my country 3dconnexion support, tell me doing some test, in one test (viewer) don't work and nvidia driver stop work when I launch this test app.
Any info about?
Thanks again.
Niza

Post by Niza »

I search the file you indicate, and I find it like beta, the problem is:
"Should work with SpacePilot PRO, SpaceExplorer USB, SpaceNavigator, and SpaceNavigator for Notebooks."
It will work with space pilot (old)?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I think the answer is yes. The driver for SP (Space Pilot) was always the same as for SPP (Space Pilot Pro). 3Dconnexion often forget to mention SP, or deliberately don't mention it, because it is no more available to buy I think.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Niza,

we released a final version of 3DxSoftware 3.12. Please go to our download site, select your 3D mouse and the operating system and you will get the right version for your SpacePilot and SKU8.
Niza

Post by Niza »

Thanks again, but can I save my customization? Where SP save the configuration file so I can reinstall it after new driver installation?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

here I'm not sure, but if there is an entry in the registry that you can somehow identify as Softimage or XSI, you can export that entry to create a reg file. Later, in the new OS, you can double-click on that reg file, and the customization is restored. The key should be at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion

I think I read somewhere that the key is "3Dxi", but I'm not sure.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Of course after a new driver installation the custom profile remains. What I described is when you install a new OS or use a different computer.
Niza

Post by Niza »

Thanks again for your support.