Swiveling left and right

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

cosmasad

Swiveling left and right

Post by cosmasad »

I've got the Space Navigator and use it to "walk" through 3d models of long and complicated corridors. Every few feet, though, I want to stop and look left and right. Having trouble doing that. Imagine standing in one spot and turning your head left and right. I try to do that by turning the Navigator's knob and the view does turn but not from the spot I'm standing on. Any advice would be appreciate :(
jwick

Re: Swiveling left and right

Post by jwick »

What application?
cosmasad1

Post by cosmasad1 »

Rhino
jwick

Post by jwick »

There are different types of cameras in Rhino. Sorry I don't know what they are called in Rhinospeak.

The target camera rotates around a point out if front of you.

There's a different type of camera that rotates about your position. You probably want to switch to that camera. That makes it much easier to stop and look around. Turning off translations on your 3D mouse will help you stay in one place.
cosmasad

Post by cosmasad »

That's interesting jwick. I've got my Navigator set to Helicopter Mode. That was when I push forward on my Navigator handle, the camera moves forward. When I want to look left and right (as if I was standing in one spot and turning my head left and right) I hold down the Ctl and Alt keys and use the right button on my regular mouse to do that. That's without the Navigator. When I try to look left and right with the Navigator, if I rotate the handle, it's too slow, even though I have the speed set at the highest speed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Turning off translations on your 3d mouse" means. Could you help me with that? :)

Thank you.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I don't know the Rhino terminology for most of this. I asked our developer who wrote the Rhino plugin.

From what he said, you can define different cameras in Rhino (nothing to do with the 3D mouse). Probably the 3D mouse controls whatever Camera you define in a scene. The characteristics of that camera determine things like the rotation point. Possibly the low scaling you see is a parameter in Rhino.

You can use our GUI (or a device button) to turn off certain DOF, like the translations. This would allow you to sit in one place and rotate the cap w/o accidentally translating. This is internal and causes the 3D mouse to not send out translations to Rhino.