Bug: 3DxService.exe constantly reading on disk

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

hoegge

Bug: 3DxService.exe constantly reading on disk

Post by hoegge »

The 3DxService.exe seems to constantly read from disk. It reads the metadata of the executable of the window in focus many times each second (> 10 ten times per second ~ i.e 1,4 million times per day!). I suppose it is to see if the program is supported by the spacemouse / 3DConnection software, by also reading the version of the file? But to read it almost 20 times per second seems like super overkill - and should be considered a bug. It should at max do it when you focus on a new window - and also only once per session - the exe file does not change suddenly. This puts an unnecessary load on the computer.

I cannot attach a screendump of the procmon output since your oldfashioned forum cannot handle a png at 314 kB ;-)

Best
Hoegge
hoegge

Re: Bug: 3DxService.exe constantly reading on disk

Post by hoegge »

Could anybody from 3D connexion bother to answer this?
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Hoegge,

Did that happens when you reboot the computer ?
Does it happens when you launch a specific application ?

You could try to do cleaning to the configuration for the driver and test it after. Here's the link on how to do it https://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/1100

Regards,
Abdul. A
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello Hoegge,

Yes, it does, and for the reasons you guessed. It is overkill. It adds up.

If nothing changed it should do nothing. What's nothing though? If neither the focus HWND nor the HWND under the cursor changed, that probably is "nothing".

I can look again at optimizing it. If nothing else, a lot of that application information could be cached. It doesn't change. The contents of some applications can change (e.g., the open page in a web browser).

Are you experiencing an issue? Or is it just on principle?
hoegge

Post by hoegge »

Hi Jwick,

Sorry - but I did not see your answer here until now - sorry for that. I did not directly have an issue except - but I guest it "must" to some degree put unnecessary load on the system opening, locking and reading meta-data 50-100 times per second. If all programs acted like that (and too many do), we spend too much CPU and power world wide for no reason :-) I'd say, that as long the same window is in focus, there is not need to read this more than once, right?

Thanks again -
Hoegge
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Hoegge,

I've made a note to look at that. It is part of a general cleanup I'm undertaking.
It's nice to have customers who care enough about the product to bring up these issues.

Jim