Radial menu colours

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jag75auau

Radial menu colours

Post by jag75auau »

Is the a way to change colours of the backgound from the radial menus. With autodesk changing the icon of autocad they a washed out in the background as per the attachment.

Cheers
John
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 21597 times
UtaSH

Re: Radial menu colours

Post by UtaSH »

Hello John,

it seems you have some special settings on your machine. We tried it here on several machines and all show a clear picture of the icons. Could it be that you have any special AutoCAD setting that has a high transparency?
jag75auau

Post by jag75auau »

It was a standalone install of product design suite 2019 - not an upgrade. Issue wasn't there in 2017. I have global menu transparency disabled and the only display setting I have changed is setting classic colours - which makes no difference if I set it to standard colours.

Many of the icons even looked washed out in the 3dxware settings as per the attachment.

Cheers
John
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 21588 times
jag75auau

(SOLVED) Radial menu colours

Post by jag75auau »

Issue was with Windows 7. Changing the visual in the system settings has fixed the problem now.

Cheers
John
jag75auau

Post by jag75auau »

Revised - This is not an issue with Windows and IS an issue with the 3Dxware software.

The problem returned when I changed to the "Dark" colour scheme in Autocad and then I believe the issue is now Autocad comes with 2 sets of Icons for the menus - 1 for the Light and 1 for the Dark. The 3Dxware software is picking up whichever is loaded on the Autocad startup. If you use the Dark scheme then to colours of the icons look dull because their designed for a dark background.

IS there a way to change the background colour of the radial menu?

Cheers
John
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi John,

unfortunately the answer is NO. There is currently no possibility to change the background color in the Radial Menu.

And we do not see the issue when we use AutoCAD with the dark scheme. The Radial Menu looks the same when we use the light scheme or the dark scheme. And the isons are visble in both situations.

Please let me know which 3Dconnexion driver you have installed.
jag75auau

Post by jag75auau »

3DxWare 10.5.12
3DxWinCore 17.5.12.15663
Windows 7 Pro
I have a CadMouse Wireless & SpaceMouse Wireless.

You need to resatart Autocad after changing the colour theme to see the results in the radial menus. If I just change to the dark theme without restarting it looks fine.
LIGHT.jpg
LIGHT.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 21538 times
DARK - wo RESTART.jpg
DARK - wo RESTART.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 21538 times
DARK.jpg
DARK.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 21538 times
Dctrekkie

Post by Dctrekkie »

Just to bump this thread, I'm having the same issue. Icons are almost unreadable when using AutoCAD's dark theme, particularly using 8 segments. The option to change the background colour, or even just toggle light\dark grey, would make things a lot better.

Light Theme

Dark Theme

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

I still cannot reproduce the issue. I am starting AutoCAD in Dark Theme and can see the icons on the RM. :( You must have any special settings or additional addins that we do not have.
ChandreLuies

Post by ChandreLuies »

Did anyone manage to fix this issue as I am experiencing the exact same thing?
TVwaznthere

Post by TVwaznthere »

I am also having similar issues, though I'm using Inventor's new Dark mode. This problem was non-existant when using the previous 2020 version
Radial Menu Issue.PNG
Radial Menu Issue.PNG (54.42 KiB) Viewed 12247 times
Windows 10 Ver 1909, "Dark" Color
Inventor 2022 (Dark Theme)
3DX Version 10.7.3.3339

To me, it looks as though the borders of the symbols have turned white (or very light) instead of black, making the fill difficult to distinguish in most cases, unless the icon has additional color in it. I have tried reverting back to Light theme and restarting the whole PC, but that didnt seem to affect it. It isnt as bad on the part/assembly side, but still noticeable and some icons are more difficult to make out.
Fridtjof85

Post by Fridtjof85 »

After some working an entire day to figure out this problem, I've come up with a workaround that in the very least makes the 3dconnexion on-screen items usable. As it appears, the 3dconnexion software gets the icons from whichever configuration is active at the time of installation. Hence, the "solution" is to configure the visual style for Inventor the way you'd like based on being limited to the light gray background. I've used light theme and ticked the "Amber" box (gets you the classic yellow-and-blue icons from earlier Inventor versions).

so:
1. export your button configurations if you'd like to keep them
2. remove anything 3dconnexion in its entirety
3. set up the visual style with exclusive regard to the icon appearance (light theme, yellow icons) in all Autodesk products.
4. close everything open
5. Re-Install 3dxWare with the remove existing configs option ON.

The rendered results should look like this:
Skjermbilde 2022-08-19 131023.jpg
Skjermbilde 2022-08-19 131023.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 8976 times
deDevo

Post by deDevo »

I am choosing to revive this post, as the descriptions with screenshots provided by the other users is incredibly accurate and useful.
To elaborate on some of the comments:
- I do not have any special custom icons or addons. Just standard installation
- Autodesk Inventor Professional 2022, 64-Bit
-- Build: 287, Release: 2022.2
- Stock "Dark Theme"

This appears to be an issue with Inventor attaching the "Dark Mode" icons to the Radial Wheels.

A better solution will be to add "Dark Mode" option to 3D-Connexion software.
- Microsoft has added some functionality to automate this where you can receive information if Windows itself is set to Dark Mode or not.
- Alternatively just have a "Dark Mode" option inside 3D-Connexion
- Detecting "Dark Mode" in Inventor may not be possible?
-- Offering options to select which version of icons from Inventor may also be too onerous

Please Add "Dark Mode" to 3D-Connexion. This space mouse is so incredible for efficiency I just love it. Also makes presentations with clients very impressive when I can so rapidly adjust things right before their eyes.

An actual workaround, although VERY onerous:
Create Macros inside Inventor for EACH function
Create a custom Icon "Module1.Dimension.Large.bmp" (32x32) & "Module1.Dimension.Small.bmp" (16x16) and locate it where you Macros are stored.
These icons are Read in to the 3D-Connexion software OK. It requires you to change the icons and restart Inventor, then re-create your Radial wheel. (I don't have the display screen version as I need wireless, so I don't know if it works there)
deDevo

Post by deDevo »

I actually found the fix to this now.

It appears that when 3DxInventor (the addon) gets installed, it queries Inventor for the icons that are currently in use.
So:
1. Download the newest software from 3DxWare. Update if you don't have the newest already. Otherwise you can open the updater as a ZIP archive (7Zip or Winzip)
2. Inside you will find the various addons. You want "3DxInventor64.msi" and drag it out so we can run just this one addon installer.
3. Open Inventor and change the Color mode to "Light Mode", I even turned on the "Yellow Icons" because they look a little nicer IMO.
4. Close Inventor
5. "Stop 3DxWare" from the Start Menu
6. Run the Installer that we found from Step 2
- You may want to completely reboot the computer here
7. "Start 3DxWare" from the Start Menu

At first, the old icons were still appearing, but over the next 5 minutes or so they updated to the "Yellow" version icons.