Is it normal to have to reboot my system every time I plug in the mouse?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ravn

Is it normal to have to reboot my system every time I plug in the mouse?

Post by ravn »

Hi all

this is about my 3Dconnexion 3DX-700028 compact type SpaceNavigator mouse on a Windows 7 system.

I don't use the mouse daily and every time I plug the mouse to the PC (when the computer is running) I get a prompt saying that I need to reboot the system. Seems kind of odd as I don't really need to do that with my other USB hardware or specifically mice. Is it common to have to reboot the PC every time the SpaceNavigator is plugged in?
UtaSH

Re: Is it normal to have to reboot my system every time I plug in the mouse?

Post by UtaSH »

Hello ravn,

you should only get this when you plug the device into a USB port that you haven't used be fore for the 3D mouse. Maybe something is wrong with your USB ports? It seems they are resetted all the time?
MarcV

Post by MarcV »

This is an old topic but it is still valid...

I have a space mouse at home and one at the office. When I take my laptop home I need to reboot my laptop after the space mouse is connected. When I'm back at the office I need to reboot the laptop again after plugging the space mouse in. Even when I plug it in before powering my laptop on, I need to reboot the laptop after power on. This is really annoying and a waste of time...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Nothing has changed. If you plug in your device to a different USB port, the system may grab a handle to it before the device drivers have loaded, prompting a system reboot. If you wish, you can ignore the prompt, disconnect your SpaceMouse and reconnect it back again.

The system keeps the device drivers cached per USB port. So, the next time the device is connect, it won't prompt to reboot. It's unknown why this constantly happens to you.
Nuno Gomes