Vintage Space Pilot, HP EF390AA - Fresh Driver Install

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

middle.road

Vintage Space Pilot, HP EF390AA - Fresh Driver Install

Post by middle.road »

I am setting up a new workstation, and not having any luck getting this ol' 390 to function.
Need some help determining which driver to use.

Specs, i7-3770, 24GB RAM, Gigabyte Mobo, nVidia M4000.
Using Fusion 360.

First tried the old 3.16.3. No go except for the HP logo on the LCD.
Uninstalled with Revo, and manually performed these steps: https://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?i ... red=faq/28

Rebooted.

Tried again with 3.16.3, but selected the 'updated driver' checkbox. Downloaded that (v10.5.12-r2890), closed the 3.16 install and tried the 10.5.
Again, no go.

Did the clean out again, and then went searching. Came up with v10.4.3.
Attempted that. Received (3) errors [(2) 1603's and something about 'Could not find any previously compliant products...] during the install but did get the final dialog box stating that 'InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed 3Dconnexion 3DxWare 10....

No joy, device is still not functioning.
Put it back on the old workstation and it is functioning OK. Unfortunately I can't determine which driver it is using. It is not showing up in Device Manager as a named device under HID.

Just found the FAQ on how to generate log files, might try that later. Figured to post here first, because after (3) hours of messing with this I'm a bit frustrated.

Thanks,
_Dan
UtaSH

Re: Vintage Space Pilot, HP EF390AA - Fresh Driver Install

Post by UtaSH »

Hello middle.road,

I recommend that you contact our Technical Support Team and send them a log file of the installation . It seems that the installation didn't install each needed module.

Have you verified with the 3Dconnexion Viewer if the device is working?

Please check in the task manager if you have a process 3DxService.exe running.
middle.road

Post by middle.road »

Viewer is not working and there is no '3DxService.exe' running. Tried/checked (3) times after reboots.

Tried submitting a ticket. Not sure if it went through. The system did not like my credentials from back in 2011.
Also I did not see and method of attaching the log files when submitting the ticket.

I uninstalled and cleaned out v10.4.3 this morning and then gave v10.4.10 a try. I found a copy on a server in France.
Same type of errors, same behaviour.
Attempted a 'repair' on the v10.4.10 install - no luck.
I captured log files of all three attempts.

I was going to attempt to attach the archived log files here but the system is giving me a 'File Too Large' error. (700KB?)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello middle.road,

unfortunately I couldn't find a case from you so it seems the ticket wasn't passed to our colleagues. Your login was too old.
We will contact you directly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
middle.road

Post by middle.road »

Thanks Uta for checking, I appreciate it. TS did contact me.

Alright, so here's what I ended up doing.
I grabbed my i3 Samsung laptop and installed v10.4.10 that I had found on a site in France.
(Someone posted on here that their SpacePilot didn't like the later versions.)
It installed without any errors, and when I plugged in the SP it came up fine.

After spending another couple of hours messing with it the new workstation build I tossed in the towel.
Decided to wipe the first Windows 7Pro install and start over.
Re-installed the OS with all the MS updates, no other software of any type this time around, and then imaged it.

Then the next install was of 3DxWare64 v10.4.10 and it went fine.
No errors of any kind, smooth and easy.
SpacePilot is working fine. With one caveat, it doesn't seem to like the USB 3.0 ports on my older Gigabyte mobo.

I tried it on all the USB ports on my system. There's (7) on the system board at the rear, plus (4) on the front panel, and I've got an expansion card installed for the card reader that has two more on the rear.
Changing ports does seem to require a restart just to make sure that the device is properly found or initialized.
Installed some utilities, the nVidia drivers, LibreOffice, and finally Fusion 360.
All is good - so far.

Something must have been totally hosed with my first install, either the MSI Installer, or perhaps permissions or something, I have no idea.

I'm going to stick with v10.4.10 for now unless I can determine that the ol' SpacePilot I'm using is supported in later versions.

_Dan
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Dan,

I can tell you that no later version recognizes the old SpacvePilot. Keep the 10.4.10. :)