Having issues installing 10.5.12 r2890

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

stephanpark

Having issues installing 10.5.12 r2890

Post by stephanpark »

Hello,
I've painted myself into a corner. I thought the "clean-uninstall" method of renaming sub-directories, deleting key DLL, renaming registry keys advised on official 3Dconnexion support forum would help but it doesn't seem to have done anything to have done anything for my situation.
In my efforts to get my 3D mouse back, I've painted myself into a corner with below:
1. Ddvised wipe of 3Dconnexion DLL.
2. Completely wipe of all 3Dconnexion references in registry, which did not help. No backups as reinstall had always worked before.
3. Attempted to install in Admin mode with Antivirus off.

There is no error page, no crashes, nothing at all to indicate a problem except for the issue that started all this. The install dialog at "3Dconnexion 3DxWare 10 (64-bit)" is frozen at "...configuring your new software installation." With no movement in the spec of green bar for hours (until I kill the task).

Have not yet tried:
Wiping temporary install file directory.

Other factors:
The workstation is Win 10 64bit, have been having issues with Maya 2018, NVIDIA and Windows Update conflicting and crashing but never thought 3Dmouse would be collateral damage if at all. Otherwise, system is stable and other software installs and uninstalls fine.
I have CCleaner Pro and BitDefender in case that matters.

Scorched Earth seems only option to get 3D mouse back (that is full reinstall of Windows BTW).
Input would be very welcome. I'm out of ideas.
mhoopes

Re: Having issues installing 10.5.12 r2890

Post by mhoopes »

Uta might be able to help you with this. I had an issue when I attempted to install 10.5.12. I uninstalled as much as I knew how, and ccleaned the registry. Ends up that I had some driver components (sp3_display, 3dxkmj) that remained resident. I was given a couple of files and a procedure to clean up those specific drivers.
https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 29ed2f41e9

You'll want to attempt installation one more time, but generate a log file (3DxWinCore64-Install.log) and post it (in a zip) or send it to UtaSH.
https://www.3dconnexion.com/nc/service/ ... ord%5D=log
Michael Hoopes
stephanpark

Post by stephanpark »

MHoopes, I'm assume you mean the moderator. I've set him/her a request for those files. When received I'll update with progress or lack of. Thanks for the tip. Meanwhile, 3DConnexion support is still at boilerplate response level as expected. If they are able to help, I'll document here. Meanwhile, my Alt key is getting lots of love because SpaceNavigator has been relegated to paperweight.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello stephanpark,

I apologize that you have trouble to install the driver for your SpaceNavigator. Please try if you get one or more log files when you follow the instructions from this FAQ. This might give us some more information on where exactly the installation fails.

I saw that you contacted our Technical Support Team. Send them the log files(s) so that we get more information.
stephanpark

Post by stephanpark »

I had to throw in the towel. I felt 3Dconnexion was a symptom and NOT the cause anymore so had cut this investigative thread (support has been updated with my assessment). My theory is that Maya, V-Ray, Windows Update and NVIDIA all did something they shouldn't have at the same time and corrupted Win10-64Pro's installation system. In my case, all updates failed (driver auto-install, system updates, auto-updates for subscription softwares) even though every easily available Registry or system diagnostics stated all was well. Sorry if fixing this the hard way could have helped others.